triple tests

lisa b 01

Reaction score
hi just wondering if anyone else is having or have had done the triple test for downs syndrome? ive just booked my 12 weeks scan and the lady asked if id like to discuss triple testing how accurate is this?

Hi Lisa

I had mine done at nearly 18 weeks, and had results through last week. I had kind of thought that I'd get it done for peace of mind as I really thought it would come back ok, and even though I had thought what to do if it came back high risk I wasn't really prepared though!

It came back as high-risk (1 in 170) and then after talking to OH and MW decided against any further testing as the risk of miscarriage during an amnio was greater than the chance of the baby having downs.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the test but have read that there are several factors which can affect the results. From my recent experiences I most probably would chose not to have the triple test with any future pregnancies, but only you can decide what you want to do. My only advice is be prepared for what you might like to do regarding amnio etc if the results came back high risk.

xxxx

Hi Lisa

I had mine done at nearly 18 weeks, and had results through last week. I had kind of thought that I'd get it done for peace of mind as I really thought it would come back ok, and even though I had thought what to do if it came back high risk I wasn't really prepared though!

It came back as high-risk (1 in 170) and then after talking to OH and MW decided against any further testing as the risk of miscarriage during an amnio was greater than the chance of the baby having downs.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the test but have read that there are several factors which can affect the results. From my recent experiences I most probably would chose not to have the triple test with any future pregnancies, but only you can decide what you want to do. My only advice is be prepared for what you might like to do regarding amnio etc if the results came back high risk

xxxx
.hi thank you for filling me in, do you think the risks get higher with age ect? i had the tests done with my first child but that was 5 years ago so cant remember exactly what happens i was 18 at the time and it came back st low risk is it possible it will probably be low risk again or is it just a chance il have to take? if you dont mind me asking how old are you and is this your first child? sorry 4 all the questions :)

I'm 28, and this is the first child. One mw I had seen earlier had said that as I was only 28 I didn't really need to bother with the triple test, but I thought that as it was offered I'd get it done.

On the forum there are others who have had results back 1 in 1000 etc and they are a similar age to me.

I'm 28, and this is the first child. One mw I had seen earlier had said that as I was only 28 I didn't really need to bother with the triple test, but I thought that as it was offered I'd get it done.

On the forum there are others who have had results back 1 in 1000 etc and they are a similar age to me.
im really sorry to hear that it must be very hard for you, i spoke to my mw and she said there is a chance of getting a false high risk result back, im really considering weather or not to have it done now, are you going to have further tests ect? good luck

Had my bloods taken today for this screening - got to wait two weeks to hear anything, I am now thinking that I shouldn't have bothered really as I don't think I am prepared to have an amnio if it comes back high risk, I am still unsure.

Hi Laura

Don't stress your self about it (easier said than done I know!) but if it does come back high risk you can consider all options and if it comes back as low risk then you can put it to the back of your mind for the rest of the pregnancy.
I was in a bad state about it all last week, and by now I'm just trying not thinking about it and wondering why I got so upset last week. I have my 20 week scan on monday so just looking forward to that.

Good luck - and keep us informed. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back