Transitioning to toddler bed

Lulu90

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I made the big mistake of buying a cot instead of a cotbed and my son is too big for it now. He's 15 months old and I think he would be fine in a toddler bed but we have a slight problem. When we put him to bed, he stands up and cries for 5 minutes, always has, regardless if I go in and lay him down, I could be in and out 3000 times, he will still stand up. We've tried rocking to sleep, but that's a massive fail. He doesn't even like to be held anymore let alone rocked. Any tips? We'be tried music, the nature sounds, night light, light projectors, they just keep him awake so we got rid of all of those xx

We just kept going back in and lying him down. We've gone from 50826492719374 times down to under 10. We tuck him in after his book, say goodnight, kiss and cuddle, and leave the room. The first time we go back in, we say "It's bedtime now, time to sleep" and tuck him back in. Every time after that we say nothing, just take him back to bed and tuck him in. If he cries he gets a cuddle but he still goes back into bed. It's just perseverance, not shouting in frustration is the hardest part for me, especially when he thinks it's all hilarious :wall2: but we're getting there.

So just a case of us getting up and down then! Fabulous. Thanks for the advice xx

Well, it does not depend on the bed for sure.
We purchased a Step2 Corvette Bed for out 1-year old, and he likes it.
https://www.bestadvisor.com/toddler-bed
I would say he is already like a "car fanatic". :D
In your case, I would recommend adding more active play during the day and setting up a more consistent bedtime ritual (bath, songs and so on). One thing that will not help is skipping naps; it sounds like it would make sense to keep babies up as long as possible so they'll sleep longer at night, but naps are essential to the child's growth, moods, and nighttime sleep.

Last edited:
I agree with big KUMBA.

Up and down until they get it is the only way. My wee one was always good in bed but then went through a phase of keep getting up in the night and eventually if he ever gets up now we just say once it's bedtime and guide him back in.

It is hard going at first. Xxx

We are weak souls so insted of letting our 20month old get in and out of bed and cry we chose a floor bed so we can lie next to her until she falls asleep and then we leave the room x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back