Moving to bed?

Misslarue

Reaction score
At what age did you move your toddler into a big bed.
We've got a cotbed that OH thinks Dan's ready for. I'm not sure :think:

What age and was there any reason?

Many thanks ladies :hug:

we moved - june - july time. alice had broke her cot not long before (she managed to break the plastic tab for the cot side) and i didn't see the point in putting her in a broken cot held together with duck tape :roll: when we had a prefectly good toddler bed in my parents loft. We where lucky and where given two as my dads mate's daughter had twins and so had two of everything and they had only been used on the odd weekend!!!

Apart from if she is ill (which is quite rare) and when we had a major flea out break at home, esp in her room, she sleeps in her bed till 4 ish and then walks into our room to find me and hops in with me for the last few hours.

I cant wait to buy ryan a bed lol i will probably put him in a bed next xmas so he will be around 21 months

We took the sides off Brody's bed when we moved him into Mason's room.
Mason was about 2 when we took the sides off for him.

I've found that a nice new duvet set in their fav. character helps to keep them in bed LOL. Also the good thing about a cotbed is you can always threaten to put the sides back on :lol:

I like the threatening to put the sides back on Urchin, I will have to remember that! :lol: :lol:

I just got Dan a new winnie the poo duvet set, which is good timing really if we do it this weekend. I'm concerned that when we put him to bed he will just get out and start playing with all his toys! :rotfl:
Will have to put the stairgate up though as I know he will just get out of bed and come and find us (we live in a bungalow)

It really scared me at first when i put Hayden in his bed as my bedroom door would open at 7am and i would be greeted by "MAMA WAKE UP" lol i wasnt used to him just wandering about because he couldnt get out of his cot!! lol but hes very good he hasnt got up and wrecked the place yet!! he went in his bed a few months ago and has been fine-i didnt put a stairgate in his room because he can open them anyway-(hes too smart) but he just comes to get me bless him!
Good luck i'm sure Dan will be fine- i thought Hayden would be a monster but he just got in and acted like he had slept there forever :lol: :lol: :lol:

We moved ds at the end of October, so he was about 19 months. I probably wouldn't have moved him so early if it wasn't for the new baby but he coped really well. He hasn't fallen out of bed once and he'll usually go straight to sleep at bedtime - maybe once or twice a week he'll be a monkey & keep getting up but usually works it out and stays in bed eventually.

We live in a bungalow too so we just put a stairgate over him bedroom door. If he does get up he tries to open the stairgate for a few minutes then gives up and shouts for us instead!

Last edited:
Misslarue said:
I'm concerned that when we put him to bed he will just get out and start playing with all his toys!

You might be surprised mine have never really done that.
I just say the usual "this is a big boy bed and big boys close their eyes and go to sleep. LOL

Brody has one of those side rail things to stop him falling out so it does seem quite enclosed anyway. He'd even call me when he woke up from a nap to go and get him LOL. Only this week has he started coming downstairs on his own. Luckily Mason brings him downstairs in the morning and Brody will wake him up before doing anything so thats good for me. Also if Brody plays up at night eg talks and doesn't go to sleep Mason will come down and tell us :lol:

Urchin said:
Misslarue said:
I'm concerned that when we put him to bed he will just get out and start playing with all his toys!

I just say the usual "this is a big boy bed and big boys close their eyes and go to sleep. LOL

Brody has one of those side rail things to stop him falling out so it does seem quite enclosed anyway. He'd even call me when he woke up from a nap to go and get him LOL. Only this week has he started coming downstairs on his own. Luckily Mason brings him downstairs in the morning and Brody will wake him up before doing anything so thats good for me. Also if Brody plays up at night eg talks and doesn't go to sleep Mason will come down and tell us :lol:

Your boys are so sweet..bless Mason bringing Brody down in the morning!! lol

fran_23 said:
Urchin said:
Misslarue said:

Your boys are so sweet..bless Mason bringing Brody down in the morning!! lol

They really are! :hug: :hug:

I've got one of those side rails. Dan moves quite a bit in the night so definately need one or I can see him falling out.
OOhhhh I think I might do it this weekend :cheer:

Lydia was 22 months when she made the switch

Xena, Dans nearly 23 months, so a good age then :)

OH is changing the bed now :cheer:

We put hope in hers last week, shes done so well with it, shes just 2

aww he looks sweet in his big boy bed! I'm glad it went so well :)

fran_23 said:
It really scared me at first when i put Hayden in his bed as my bedroom door would open at 7am and i would be greeted by "MAMA WAKE UP" lol i wasnt used to him just wandering about because he couldnt get out of his cot!! lol but hes very good he hasnt got up and wrecked the place yet!! he went in his bed a few months ago and has been fine-i didnt put a stairgate in his room because he can open them anyway-(hes too smart) but he just comes to get me bless him!

I was like that when I first put Amber into a bed! She would get up quietly and come into our bedroom at about 6 in the morning and start poking me and trying to prise my eyelids open and saying 'Wake up Mummy, it's morning!'

She has been fine in her bed aswell, we put her in there last year just before her 2nd birthday, and she loves sleeping in there. It's nice to be able to lay in bed with her and read her a story every night before I tuck her in and she goes to sleep!

Glad he went into his bed OK, cute pics! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back