Leif's bed

Flame

Reaction score
We have turned Leif's cot in his room into a bed in the hope we can get him to go in his own room. What we have done for the last couple of nights is when he has been asleep when we are going to bed (cause he sleeps on our knee at the mo) we put him in his bed and if he wakes up lay with him until he goes to sleep again, althought its blooming difficult to get into a bed with one of those safety side things on. Then he wakes up about 4 in the morning without fail so then we bring him back into our room.

Do you think this might work after a while for him to get used to his own room? then slowly get a proper bed time routine sorted or do you think i need to just start the bed time routine straight away even though he isnt sleeping till gone 10 o clock at night.

Whatever you feel comfortable with is best Flame, I wanted to reply to mention what happened with Isaac as with their ages being so close. Isaac's always gone to sleep with me laying with him, up unti a few weeks ago when I decided I couldn't do it anymore for his and my sanity. Anyway, I popped him in his cot, told him it was bedtime and kissed him etc etc and left the room. He cried, for 5mins, then I went in and told him the same thing again, and left the room. He cried, for 5mins, then I went in and told him the same thing again, and left the room. Then after a few minutes, silence, I went in and checked, he was fast asleep.

The second night I only needed to go in the once and he was then asleep. The third night he was asleep withing minutes. I think because of his age he was able to understand that he wasn't being left, and that after the first night, he learnt that come morning everything else would be the same, only he sleeps by himself now and gets himself to sleep alone without Mummy. If he wakes at all during the night, we just go into him and usually have to re-cover him and stroke his hair a minute, but then he's back settled again, sometimes he has a minute of a cry when we leave but then he's back to sleep.

I feel very lucky it went so well but I would recommend to anyone who is aiding their child getting to sleep, to at least try this, if it doesn't work then try something else if you wish to change the routine, but personally I think at this age they are clever enough to know, and although Isaac sometimes wakes at 6am and we let him in with one of us, we are all sleeping better for it and he's a better rested child too.

We have done all this with us all in the same room as we only have 1bedroom (blooming council), so I would dare to say if he was in his own room it would be even better as there'd be no disturbance when you go to bed, get up..

Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks redshoes :D I will give what you did a go, although tonight he has just woke up (its 12.04!!) and stumbled over and stolen my prawn crackers!! :eek:

They just take, take these LO's :lol:
I hope there's been some progress for you Flame, been thinking about you, sending very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Well he was quite good tonight, he fell asleep on my knee about 8.30 so i put him to bed and he woke up about and hour or so later crying so i went up and tried to settle him and about 5 mins later he was being cheeky and kept pulling me into his bed and giving me his sleep time cow. I couldnt help but laugh, he was wide awake by then so he is now downstairs playing again :?

I never thought I would hear myself type this, but you might have to leave him to cry himself to sleep :? I know how hard it is, couldn't do it with Isaac until now myself, but if its something you want to change, then that may be the only way :hug: :hug: :hug: They are masters at making us laugh, and being gorgeous hehe but if you want that bedtime to mean bedtime and no getting up etc then personally I found only letting him cry worked, I do hope you find an answer with Leif, I'm sure you will, it will change when its meant to, very best wishes again, he sounds like a very cheeky, funny little man :hug: :hug: :hug:

It does pay off leaving them to cry themselves to sleep, Imogen was being a nightmare and wouldnt go to bed until she fell asleep on my lap erggghhh!

So last week I popped her in bed with her bottle and ignored her! Only cried for 5 mins and fell asleep and is now in bed by 7pm as shes so exhausted from her day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back