• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Too many choices...

xJodieLoux

Reaction score
I have got my 20 week scan tomorrow and if all goes well I plan to start shopping in a couple of week's. Thing is, I have no idea what to choose.

For instance...

Microwave or electronic steriliser?
Baby bath or support? (also what king of support, theres loads).
What kind of bottles?
Dummies?
What type of pram/pushchair?
Wether or not to put LO straight into cot or use a moses basket/crib?
What type of nappies/wipes etc?
What type of bouncer to go for? (vibrating, musical, lights etc)

Theres just so much variety and I've got no idea what to go for.

Anybody got any advice or reccommendations?

It's all personal preference, just go along and have a look at which stuff you like the look of, or the price is what you want to pay.

I'll tell you what we got though, if it helps. We tended to stick to Avent stuff. Not for any other reason than we just wanted everything to be similar for him instead of all different. I don't know if that even makes sense.

We got Avent Microwave steriliser - £30, so cheaper than the IQ or whatever, and only take 4 minutes in the microwave. Very handy :D

We got a baby bath but a lot of people don't like them. We found ours really good though.

What kind of bottles?
Again Avent bottles, but were given a couple of Tommee Tippee ones and they have been fine too. I'd suggest not getting too many in 4oz sizes as it won't take them long to be drinking more than that. I only find the 4oz bottles are good now for using with the breast pump for expressing.

Dummies?
I got a pack of 2 Avent ones, size newborn. Godsend!

There is so much choice, I recommend just going and pushing them around and seeing whether you prefer forward/backward facing, travel system, 3 or 4 wheels. You'll see straight away which you prefer to push. Don't ignore Ebay either, once you have found the one you want in the shops, have a look online to see if you can find it cheaper. I saved a bundle (£150+) on my Quinny Buzz by getting it "nearly new" off ebay from a reputable seller.

Also personal preference. We were given a moses basket for £10 and then bought our own mattress for it but Ryan only lasted in it for a month (though that's earlier than most babies admittedly). If we would have had to buy one at full price I don't think we would have bothered and would have just put the cot in our room for a couple of months instead.

We used Huggies Newborn and Pampers size 2 upwards. But again its all your own choice. Take into consideration offers and promotions, and don't buy too many nappies in newborn size in case you have a big baby that doesn't last in them for very long! Wipes, we use Boots Own or Pampers. Had heard bad things about Huggies wipes on here, so didn't bother trying them and just stuck with what we know. The Johnsons ones are ok but we found them quite soapy, although lots of people love them. Buy wipes on offer, you get through so so many of them it's a waste of money to buy them at full price!

I got one on offer in Boots, it was just a bog standard one but did have a vibrating option. I don't think it matters to be honest, it was just somewhere to sit him for a little bit, he didn't seem to mind whether it vibrated or not.

i went for microwave , its brilliant as it can be used for cold water too ( tommee tippee half price on tesco website / insotre if in stick .. get 3 bottles too)

ive got a summer bath which had a molding in it for support , ive also the sponge bath support that i used last nght as im at mums and it was fab and very comfy for lil one !

What kind of bottles?

i got 3 tommee tippee bottles free with sterilser and have continued using them as bf didnt work out .

Dummies?

i brought some in case , and im glad i did. i got again tommee tippee ortho one from 0+

thats totoally up to you ! i decided on mine because , it came with everything i needed ( pram , car seat , carrycot and accessories) was in a colour i loved and was failry lightweight for a travelsystem and easy to fold , i didnt like the bulky ones. i went from the m&p pliko p3 but i got from ebay !

i brought both so if things changed id have cot ready , lil one is currently in crib next to me but his cot his in his room if needs be , he also can nap in his cot.

i reccomend pampers sensitive wips and huggies both pure and shea butter , stock up u will use loads if thats how u choose to change your baby (i used cotton wool for all of 2 weeks lol ) i dont recommend johnsons as they brough leland out in a rash .

i went for one that laid flat / adjustable back rest , leland loves it . it does have a toy bar but not using it yet . ive also brought a swing for when his a lil older , that does have music and lights on it but doesnt lay flat so just waiting till his a couple of months old then he can go in it !

Microwave or electronic steriliser? cold water...I've had both steam and microwave, and I've always ended up with the cold water one... microwave for emergancies
Baby bath or support? (also what king of support, theres loads). neither...don't have the room for a bath and well both supports I wasted my money on just didn't do their job... old fashioned way for me just like my mum did, and in the big bath. :)
What kind of bottles?Dr brown... and avent for boob feeding purposes as avent systems tend to be more geared up for it.
Dummies?yes...just in case, get a variety of teats though as they tend to have preferences that change :roll:
What type of pram/pushchair?one on offer :lol: because slings and fold away buggies are infinitesimally more practical.
Wether or not to put LO straight into cot or use a moses basket/crib? cot... lil miss went straight into hers...babies prefer to be next to you anyway :roll:
What type of nappies/wipes etc?buy a host of different size 2/3 nappies from different places (huggies, pampers, asda, tesco etc) and see which is best for your LO's bottom...as for wipes, I just use the sensitive version of stores own brand.
What type of bouncer to go for? (vibrating, musical, lights etc)again one on offer tbh...newbs can't see and the window has always been far more interesting to lil miss than the flashing lights of her play centre.

Remember, our parents coped with far less and we turned out alright and Ebay is a valuble source of cheap nearly new baby items, that you will only use for a few weeks anyways.

I'm still in tri 3 but thought i might share with you what i've bought...

I've got the digital tommee tippee closer to nature one, solely because it was on offer at asda at the time (half price) We've tried it out and it seems pretty fast and is quite slimline as well.

I have bought a bathe sling type thing from argos £14.99, purely on the advise from other mums (sweetcheeks24) on here. If that doesnt work for me i'll probably bath him with me in the big bath.

What kind of bottles?

I've bought the closer to nature tommee tipee ones which go with the steriliser I bought, I got a 6 pack half price in asda.

Dummies?

Tommee tippee again!

I knew I wanted a travel system but didnt see the point in spending big bucks on it. My friend works in argos, they has cosatto travel systems half price then she got a discount on top of that (£76 bargain)

I've bought a moses basket for first few weeks then he'll go in a cot

I've bought a load of pampers and huggies in a variety of sizes, I get them from morrisons cus they do boxes of pampers for a tenner!

Any thats on offer (there seems to be a theme with my baby bits!) I got a vibrating jungle one from mothercare and it had 20% off at the time.

I'm getting neither to start as I hope to BF exclusivly for the first 6 months. All being well OH will be able to do some feeds when LO is established BF at about 6 weeks, but I shan't go mad with steriliser even then. I'll wait and buy bottles for that once I am comfy with BF'ing.

I like the Tummy Tub and shall be using one of those till LO grows out of it. I read reviews and comments on it and found it came highly recommended. Babies seem to like the fetal position they can get into in it and it covers them to their shoulders so is a lovely natural feeling. Supporting LO's head till they can do so themselves doesn't worry me.

What kind of bottles?

Again, not getting those till BF'ing is established unless I really have to. My MW tells me even those designed to be more nipple like don't really encourage babies to suck properly when BF'ing.

Dummies? Not a fan of them so will avoid using them at all costs.

What type of pram/pushchair? We went for the Jane Slalom Pro

Wether or not to put LO straight into cot or use a moses basket/crib? Depends on what you hope to do and how much space and finances you have. Moses baskets are soon grown out of.

What type of nappies/wipes etc? Washables and cotton wool and water instead of wipes. We are getting some trial packs of a few makes I've read good reviews etc on and shall see once LO is here which work best for us.

What type of bouncer to go for? (vibrating, musical, lights etc) Not going for one till after LO is here, if indeed we'll bother then. We are getting a Doomoo instead for sitting in. Will last well into toddlerhood and beyond then.

I think have a look through things like the Mothercare brochure and see what appeals. Things like prams and travel systems really are personal choice and you need to consider your needs and wants and how you will be using it. Only in town and around or do you plan to go off roading etc? Do you want 4 wheels or 3? Do you use a car or public transport?

Look round your house and see how much space you have? Where things will be living if you get them and how they will fit in with your lifestyle. Do you have room for a large steriliser on the side all the time? Would you find a microwave one easier?

Bathing - consider again what you would like to do. You want to bath anywhere in the house? Do you have lots of storage space? Do you like the idea of bathing in a Tummy tub when you've done your reading on it? Or think that lying a LO down is more appealing.

That's how I approach all my childcare for others and myself. Of course with other peoples children I have to work with what they choose so therefore I've seen just about every gadget and gizmo going for kids. Some are needed, others are superfluous and really you can do without them.

I just try to think about how I'd like to do things and care for LO. What will make sense for me, OH and LO in our home and lifestyle. I am not a gadget person where babies are concerned and feel you can improvise lots of things for their care. We won't have a change table, a baby bouncer chair or a few other things. But thats fine for us, we want it that way.

We've got an electronic steriliser (tommy tippee) but we dont use it much as im breastfeeding so only sterilse the pump

Baby bath or support?
We've got a baby bath but are gunna start having her in the bath with us soon :)

What kind of bottles?
At the moment we're having problems with getting Ellie to take bottles, shes suddenly decided its boob or nothing :lol: but before that we were using Tommy Tippee closer to nature ones and I think they are great.

Dummies?
We bought a few different types to try, turns out she wont have one... fussy lil madam I know! I would say get a couple of different types to try maybe as different babies like different types.

Go in mothercare and try some out, write a list of what u want from your pram and see if they can suggest any or have a look around and see if any meet your needs. Its so hard to choose, we chose Silvercross 3D and its a fantastic pram but its not until you actually have baby and use it that u know what u want/need.

I would say moses basket or crib :)

We've used pampers as they were recommended to us and they have been brill, we've had no problems. As far as wipes I bought a few different types and tried them all then decided we like pampers sensitive ones best :)

We got ours from Argos, it vibrates and plays music/sounds :)

Hope that helps a little :) Everyone has different preferences and im sure as you go along you'll decide what u like best etc. At the moment it all seems such a load of stuff that you know nothing about but by the end of your pregnancy you'll be a dab hand at it all ;)

I've got

Microwave sterilliser - tommtippee, can be used as a cold water one
Baby bath or support? a padded sort of seat that fits in a normal bath
What kind of bottles? tommytippee ones
Dummies? an asda pink one and will get some tommytippee ones
What type of pram/pushchair? graco quattro tour travel system in oakwood - i love it!
Wether or not to put LO straight into cot or use a moses basket/crib? We've got a crib as can't fit a cot and will last longer than a moses
What type of nappies/wipes etc? we have 3 packs so far, huggies, pamers and asda eco baby - we'll see what works
What type of bouncer to go for? just a standard one!

We got the tommee tippee microwave jobbie which can be used as a cold water steriliser as well and came with free bottles and brushes

We got a baby bath, £2.47 from asda so if it doesnt get much use its no great loss

What kind of bottles?
omg we have loads of these, tommee tippee that came with the steriliser, winne the pooh from mothercare, assorted bottles from babies r us.

Dummies?
I got a pack of 2 size newborn just incase, most places sell these

We got the silvercross sleepover sport with car seat, can be used as a travel system plus the carry cot comes with a stand so doubles up as a moses basket, we wanted a pram that could take baby lying flat for a while, the carrycot then turns into a pushchair so it will last for ages.

We have a crib and the carry cot/stand that came as part of the pram, a cot would be a tight squeeze in our room and we are hoping to move b4 baby gets to need 1.

We have stocked up on Johnsons baby wipes and baby products and pampers nappies, get them whilst they are on offer, thats what we do, saves money and b4 you know it you have loads!!

We have the I love my bear bouncing chair from babies r us

i would say look on ebay, check with friends/family that have recently had babies, also local shop advert boards and local papers for bargains, you will be fine xx

Sherlock said:

I like the Tummy Tub and shall be using one of those till LO grows out of it. I read reviews and comments on it and found it came highly recommended. Babies seem to like the fetal position they can get into in it and it covers them to their shoulders so is a lovely natural feeling. Supporting LO's head till they can do so themselves doesn't worry me.

I've seen these! How does it work when your baby is newborn and cant support his neck?? They look really cool and i'd like to get one. Has anyone actually used one with a newborn?

I think Natalie&Jake did, I know she had one (don't know which age from) but if you PM her she'll tell you about it :)

xkikix said:
I've seen these! How does it work when your baby is newborn and cant support his neck?? They look really cool and i'd like to get one. Has anyone actually used one with a newborn?

You support them under the chin. You only put in as much water as LO needs, up to shoulder level IIRC and from what I understand LO's tend to go into the fetal position quite happily as its reassuring for them. If you have a look on their website they have a Q&A and also a Testimonial page where you can see pics of babies in them. Some small babies there and being supported and doing fine :) Reading Mum's comments on how they and their babies find them is also good. People use them from newborn and seem to do fine with them.

I think the same as a lie down baby bath its just getting the knack. From all I've read the Tummy tubs really are a soothing thing for most babies and I'm really looking forward to using one :)

xJodieLoux said:
I have got my 20 week scan tomorrow and if all goes well I plan to start shopping in a couple of week's. Thing is, I have no idea what to choose.

For instance...

I had an electric one but i'm going to get a microwave one next time because I would imagine they are quicker and easier.
I had a baby bath but I only used it for a matter of weeks. I won't bother with one next time and i'll just use a bath support from the beginning or the sink.
What kind of bottles?
I used Avent and never had any problems.
Dummies?
I have always used dummies with an orthodontic teat but never any particular brand. I bought newborn dummies for when Jake was born but he couldn't keep them in his mouth so I just bout 0+ dummies which were fine.
I can't really help you with that one because you need to have a look around to see what you like. I had a travel system but I only used it until Jake was about 10 months old because it was too big and heavy when folded. I would just say make sure that it is nice to push, easy to fold, not too heavy and that it lays totally flat for when your baby is newborn.
Jake had a moses basket and then went in to his cot in his own room when he was 5 1/2 months old. I think it's easier to have a moses basket when your LO is newborn because you can move it around the house with you.
Everyone will have different views on nappies and wipes. I think it is best to try a few brands of each to see which you get on the best with. I havn't really had any problems with any nappies or wipes(although i'm not a lover of Huggies wipes).
I had a M&P bouncy chair(vibrated, bounced itself and had music settings) which was fine but I don't think it really matters what sort you choose. You can either get a bouncy chair or you can get one of the cradle chairs that can be set to rock themselves. Just have a good look around to find one that you like.

Theres just so much variety and I've got no idea what to go for.

Anybody got any advice or reccommendations?

I have written my answers in bold :D

I had a electric one with my other 3 but will be getting a microwave one!! :D

Baby bath or support?
I didnt bother with a bath! To start with a had a bowl lol then I got a support thing (http://www.babycare-direct.co.uk/baby_bathtime_-_2.html) The winnie the pooh one! That was brill!

What kind of bottles?
I suggest the wide neck ones! I had some with like a tilted neck which were great lol Cant seem to find a link though! :(

Dummies?
Get some with a tiny teat to start! Your baby may not even need them!

This is my favourite part lol! I had a 2in1 with my first, a double (twin then tandem) with my second then a 3in1 with my 3rd! I love prams!lol

I had a crib and will get a moses basket this time! I wouldnt suggest putting baby straight in the cot as my son was so scared when in the crib!? Not all babies do this though! Yours may be fine JMO I would get a crib or M/B

I used Pampers for the first few weeks with them all then huggies! You wont need wipes for a while just cotton wool balls and water!!

What type of bouncer to go for?
Just a plain, normal bouncer would do! But then thats totally up to you!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back