Tongue-Tied..........

suzy100

Reaction score
i think Maisy has a condition called 'tongue-tied'
apparently, it affects about 5% of new-borns
Maisy cant put the end of her tongue past her gum line and when she tries, her tongue forms a heart shape as if it is attached underneath at the front.
i have researched it a little bit and there seems to be a little controversy over ways to treat.
some just snip it without anesthetic before it affects speech, others wait till about 4 because it could stretch on its own.
i really dont want to speak to gp about it in case it gets taken out of my hands.
we have always thought it looked attached from a tiny baby and now i think it defo is.
she is talking quite well and has a lot of sound variations, la, da,mu etc.
just wondered if anyone has any hands on knowledge of this, any advice please
she is 1 in a week

Tongue tie is not a problem unless it is interfering with feeding and you are right - it can often sort itself out :hug: Even if it is interfering an op is very rarely required as there are other ways round it - surgery used to be a lot more common than it is now. In a 1year old who is speaking they are extremely unlikely to want to operate as she is managing so well, but you may get additional support for her speech if it is needed (like a language therapist if required).

I would really recommend you go and speak to your GP - why would things be taken out of your hands? - they may refer you for an opinion at the hospital or they may suggest waiting but nothing will be done without your consent - it is the best way to get advice that is specific for your little one :) :hug:

i've been thinking about this recently bc my OH is tongue tied as is his brother and some other males on his side of the family.. so i'm wondering if our little man will have it :D

it's never caused any of them any problems, my OH's brother did ask a doctor about it a few years back, and they said they could do a quick operation to fix it, but he never bothered.

if our little man has it and it doesn't affect his feeding/speech, i'll more than likely leave it be :)

My hubby was born tongue tied, as was his dad, and now we think LO is too. He cant poke his tongue out, but he feeds fine. When i mentioned it to my HV she said as long as he feeds ok, they wont do anything about it. MY hubby wasnt happy about that; he had an op on his when he was little, and wants LO to have one too :shock:

Doesnt seem to understand that if its not a problem for him, they wont do anything! And whay should they, if LO is ok, I say leave it alone! But hubby wants to go private and see what they say! Men.

Chloe has tongue tie, shes 2 and abit now and still cant really stick out her tongue, not past her bottom lip anyway but it doesnt seem to be affecting her :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back