Tongue tie? - Whats does your baby's tongue look like?

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

The pain during bf has gone :) Olivia still fussing and frantic at the breast though :( My friend sent me a link to a websie with information on tongue tie, and Olivia has a number of the signs of it ( clicking noise when feeding, repeatedly coming off the breast etc) BUT she can poke her tongue out to just past her lips. Her tongue isn't heart shaped but when she screams it does have a wee indent or "notch" at the tip. Do your babys all have smooth ends at the tips of their tongue?

Does anyone's baby have a tongue tie?

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Tongue-tie?open

I'm not self diagnosing here I'm justy trying to get to the bottom of this awful feeding palava we have at every feed - it's upsetting me and Olivia.

The symptoms seem to be so similar for a number of different things as our symptoms have been the same as when we were diagnosed as having thrush (except the pain in my boobs has gone now) and a book I was reading last night (Happiest baby on the block by Dr Harp) listed some symptoms for colic and apart from the fact she doesn't scream for lengths of time again similar symptoms!

Oh and we woke up to 4 inches of snow this morning :shock: don't think the pram wheels will get through it so I'd better go and get some chocolate and get comfy! :)

Lucy :)

Hi Lucy
I've been meaning to get in touch with you all week. Sorry :( :D - it's been a wee bitty hectic this end!!
Glad some aspects of BF is settling, but can imagine that you'll be worrying about what the cause behind the "booby frenzy" might be. i can't remember who on this sight had tongue-tied bunny.

I had a quick looky at the site you posted. Out of th 5 symptoms they point out in the bf section, Oscar applies to 3 of them. We know he's not tongue-tied as mw checked it out in the very beginning. He's gaining good weight. Must say, I've never seen his tongue passed his lips, but have seen his tongue touch roof of his mouth. I'd say that you musn't worry just yet. You're so much like me in the sense that we like checking things out for our own reference which is really good, but sometimes it makes us worry unnecessarily. :? :D :D Rather get it checked out asap.

Oscar is 10 weeks old now and the little monkey still exhausts my boobies. :shock: :D Yikes........ :shock: :shock:
Let me know how you get on Lucy - I feel for you!!!!!
Emilia xx

Me and Coby have it,

It doesnt affect speach or anything in later life, it just means babies have to suck a bit harder for there food.
I tried to brest fed Coby but it hurt to much so i stopped. he is doing so much better on a bottle.

Some places/areas will cut the tie, but they wont do it in cardiff anymore, i really dont think its needed tho, i have managed fine my whole life with one, the only thing i have come across that i cant do is have my tongue peirced lol

Emilia - you are right, I do like to look into various things to improve my understanding of things but it does sometimes make you worry unecessarily (and make my DH very cross!) . Just goes to show that many babies will have symptoms of a number of different things but it doesn't mean that they have the condition!

Layla - I remember you saying about Coby having a tongue tie now that I've seen your reply. It's not painful anymore when BF but not sure if Olivia is in pain or just frustrated?

Thanks ladies,

Lucy

her tongue tie wouldnt be causeing her any pain hun, so its either shes in pain from wind or something else, or shes frustrated coz shes has to work harder to get the milk.

xxx

Lucy...
why don't you pm me a typical scenario of Olivia when she's feeding and also roughly how often she feeds. I'm interested in searching on this for you.
Is the snow still lying...... wish i was there!!
Emilia xx :wink:

Thanks Emilia - will pm you now.

Yes the snow is still thick - but I don't mind it as for once it's nice powdery stuff not horrod slush!

Layla - thats a relief that it doesn't cause the little ones any pain

Lucy x

Hi

Kiara is tongue tied and here they do the surgery my doc said it will be done around 6 months when she starts eatingmore solids.
Katrina

Hiya,

When Abi was bf i had clicking noise and she kept coming off then i read in a magazine it was a sign they weren't latching on properly so i changed the way i was holdingher and now she bf lovely - no clicking or coming off all the time :)

manda...
which position improved feeding?
Emilia xx

Hi

Manda - was it the \rugby ball position? I had an email from a friend of my sister who suggested this position and the MW always tld me to use it but can't seem to be able to get Olivia's body in a comfy position for her? I'll ask the BF councellor to help me with that tomorrow.

Had some better results during the night and so far her two "daytime" feeds this morning have been struggle free :) clicking still there and gums clashing as well but hey at least it's not like trying to wrestle with a mini crocodile (the croc bit is when we get the latch wrong and boy is that sore!)

Thanks
Lucy

Lol i couldn't do rugby position either, i just held herslightly more upright and squeezed by boob with finger and thumb until she was latched on - this way they take more of the boob, it worked for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back