Told off by senior midwife :(

JustMe1304

Reaction score
Had my GTT blood test yesterday they were short staffed so the senoir midwife was taking the bloods. She also took my blood pressure that was fine, tested my wee that was fine she then weighed me and said 'so how long have you been struggling with your weight?!' (I'm 5ft 7 size 16) she said you've put on a stone since you were first weighed at 12 weeks. She asked about my diet and what I was eating, I told her my diet had completely changed since being pregnant and I'm really craving fruit- strawberries, blueberries, melon etc. she looked at me like I had told her I'm eating sticks of butter!! In her horror she said well that explains the weight gain fruit is full of sugar- after a 20 minute rant about my body craving sugar like a drug addict or alcohol and reducing me to tears I felt awful like I'm failing, she also topped it as I walked out the office when she handed me 'obisity during pregnancy' leaflets! I understand they have to advise on diet control etc but there's a way of doing it also is 1 stone in 7 months a lot to gain? Considering the weight of baby of fluid? My confidence feels battered sorry for the rant :(

Im sorry but arent you pregnant??? Im sure your pretty much supposed to put weight on anyway? Im a size 8/10 usually and weigh around 8 and a half stone yet went up to over 10 stone when i was pregnant!

Ignore her! Fruit is good for you and good for baby! Its not like your sat smoking your head off and getting wasted all the time is it??

What a rude woman...
She is right about fruits that you need to consume on moderation because they are full of sugar but between them and chocolate a least fruit is packed with vitamins...
There are ways and ways to advice people... And then there is lack of manners...
I don't think 1 stone is much really. Just try to eat the lower carb fruits like berries for example and melon (but not watermelon)

Oh no... What an awful experience! Your similar to me :( 5ft 6 and size 14/16... At my booking in appt my bmi was 33, so it is high, but I'm not classed as high risk. Weird! I havnt been weighed again, but I did weight myself at about 30weeks and I'd put on a stone!! But this now makes my bmi over 35! Eek!
Anyway, at just over 27weeks I had a 3d scan and she was saying the baby weighed 2.4lbs... Which is average. So if you think about the fluid, baby and placenta... A stone really isn't alot to have put on!!!!
And I think it's better eating strawberrys etc with natural sugars, than eating chips and crisps and buiscuits!!
Don't let it upset you...x

Thanks for the response ladies, I'm Sitting here eating my salad lol, I could totally understand if I lived on junk food and smoked 20 fags a day but I dont do either. I sometimes wonder how people get the jobs there in, I don't want to dwell on it too much I just feel bit embarrassed I think. Thought this could of been explained to me much much earlier not at 7 months x

That's awful hun :hugs: I'm probably about the same size as you and no one has ever said anything to me, this time or last. I think that is the average weight gain by now anyway, what is she talking about!!!! I would make a complaint, bloody cheek!! :mad: Just ignore her hun :hugs: x x

I've gained over a stone already :shock: :shock:

I'm still a healthy BMI though (not sure if that makes a difference!)

What a cowbag!

xxxxxxxxxxx

What a load of nonsense! That seems like a completely normal weight gain for your stage of pregnancy.
Most people put on an average of 2 stone and thats healthy for you and baby! Im normally a size 10/12 and so far I have put on 1 st 4lbs, and no one has given me any lectures.
Cheeky woman, ignore her! Frankly if thats her attitude she is in the wrong job!

I have gained more than you and i am only ft! My starting weight was 9st i weighed myself at 28 weeks and i was just under 10 1/2 stone! I dont smoke or drink. my diet is veg and fruit but i do like junk food too! but only as a treat! but its everything in moderation!

I would have kindly had a word with her if she had done what she did to you hun, us women already struggle with the fact our bodies are changing we dont need f**king reminding

xx

how rude !!! dont worry hun (( hugs))

What a b***h :mad:
You would think that being around pregnant women as a career you would have a little more tact and understanding! Ignore the old cow:mad:
How dare she make you feel like that??
You dont sound like you are doing anything wrong to me and if you are craving fruit eat it ffs! It's good for you :) Carry on doing what you are doing and throw the bloody leaflet in the bin!

Ah thanks ladies, I'm so glad I shared this I was going out of my mind last night analysing everything she said and convincing myself I was some obese monster, it's good to get a different perspective on it so thank you all, your all gorgeous 'blooming' ladies :) x

I'd tell her to get knotted personally, she's clearly given you some pants advice. By 28 weeks pregnant putting on a stone is NORMAL. Depends on your starting BMI but average weight gain 25-35lbs during pregnancy so I would say you're bang on.

Tell her to do one next time.
xxx

i put on 7kg during preg and that took my bmi to 40. im 6ft tall so its pretty well spread out but that was pretty much all baby and fluid since my baba was 10lb 14oz at birth. i had a completely natural birth with no help and minimal drugs (cocodamol til 9cm then gas and air and a diamorphine shot just before episiotomy to make it easier to push her out) being overweight didnt affect my pregnancy at all and i lived on fruit and salad for the first 30 weeks really as everything else made me queasy lol

What a cow!! You're eating a lot better than me, I've put on more weight than I should have in my opinion, but my midwife said it was fine. I'd put a complaint in about her, she's supposed to be in a caring profession, and not there to make you feel like crap! Even my midwife said today she doesn't agree with checking BMI later in pregnancy as its not really a true reflection as you'll naturally have put on weight! Try to ignore it, maybe see if you can have a different midwife? x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Clearly she needs to do some reading into weight gain during pregnancy! As FirstBaby said a stone is pretty normal hun. I have not got a clue how much weight I have put on but to be blunt as long as our LOs are OK I don't think it should be made out to be a massive issue xx

Pfft, what a bitch!
My pre-pregnancy weight was 10st, I'm now around 11st 10lb.. Already.. :shock:
In my opinion, as long as your looking after your body and have a well balanced diet, that's the main thing.. And of course the occasional treat!
Try not to take much notice! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back