• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

toddler sleep advice?

ashtonsmum

Reaction score
my son is 1 and hes such a mummys boy, he wont sleep unless hes on me or in bed with me so during day he will fall asleep drinkin his milk on me and at night i bring him to bed when hes asleep i put him in cot, i dont mind this as i get my cuddles but baby number 2 on way i wont have the time to lie with him so long, when i put him in his cot he goes ballistic and cries like a newborn does, gets himself in such a state it takes ages to settle him.

i know hes still young but any advice?

I can seriously recommend the controlled crying method - we did it with Rosie and within 3 nights she was sleeping through without waking and settling herself in the cot when she was semi awake. Its really hard to do but so worth it and with another baby on the way I know how you feel.

I'm excatly the same as Rosie's mummy, i did the controlled crying! Lacey went threw phases of when we put her in her cot she'd scream for ages before crying herself to sleep then when she went into a proper bed she kept getting up during the night so again i did the controlled crying and super nanny style of putting her back without talking then walking away then doing it everytime she got up! The only night she was bad she was up between 2.30am and 4.30am but she never got up again during the night after that! It really does work hun!!

I know it will seem really hard but it really dose work I never did controlled crying with my first and he was about 2 and a half when he finally started going to bed on his own without me having to lay there with him so 2nd time around I lernt and tryed this with my little girl when she was about one. She cryed for at the most 3 nights but after that she was fine now at half 7 every time she asks to go to bed reads a book light off and I walk out the room. I cant beleave how I was with my first now after seeing how easy it was to do.

Totally have to echo the ladies above, CC really does work. I used to have to rock my Evie to sleep at night in my arms then wait until she was asleep long enough and move her to her moses basket and most times she would wake so I'd have to go through the whole process again. At 6 months I started putting her down awake and leaving her, then after 5 mins of crying would go and calm her by stroking her head, her tummy, singing or talking calmly etc and then would leave once she had calmed. It would take a few attempts (more like 10 on the first night) but after a week she was getting off to sleep by herself and has done since. The key is not to pick baby up unless you feel they are in pain etc, just try and calm them then leave the room again.

I remember sitting on the stairs outside Evie's room in tears, it is hard to let them cry and it's natural to want to go and pick them up but give it a go as it really does work. Hope that helps - good luck xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back