Toddler in booster seat question

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

we share a car with my MIL and SIL and she has two girls age 2 1/2 and 1 and they tend to use the car more than us so have their car seats in there all the time and we just put Elliott into theirs. They have just changed the older girl's one to one of those booster seat types. Now it says that it's ok from his weight but obviously it's a grown up belt now. Their little one has been no problem with it- my experimental son took one look and realised that he could undo the clip, pull the seat right down and turn the window handle with his foot. Arrgh. Are there things that you can get to stop them pulling the belt down too far? I think I've found a clip thing in Halfords that would stop him unclipping himself. My general thought is that he's too young for such a seat but maybe that's just me? Obviously I've got heavy with the discipline but it means I just spend the journey with one eye on him telling him off all the time (I don't drive!!) and I don't think it's safe. What does everyone else do?

Thanks

+++

Hi! My Isaac is about the same age as Elliott and we've been wondering about getting Isaac a booster seat too. I need to weigh Isaac though and make sure he is big enough. If you know Elliott is big enough then If I were you I'd get the gadget from halfords (or see if theres any new ones on ebay cheaper) and then just keep telling him to sit nicely, I mean they all have to wear seat belts now so they are going to have to learn to sit still and behave in the car. We tell Isaac a policeman will tell him off if he takes his arms out of his straps and he hardly does it now, only when he's being cranky.

Hiya

I was asking in mothercare the other day about these and the lady said Brody would not be heavy enough for one which was just the normal belt. For this reason I got one with a 5 point harness, which later on converts to just the seat belt.

If you are not happy with it, trust your instincts, you can get one with a 5 point harness for about 30 quid.

here you go... 23.99 in Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 199784.htm

Bray has been in one of them seats since he was 2 1/2 and has been fine

we have been wondering about this as Seren can get her arms out of the 5 point harness one no matter how tight we pull it. It drives me mad.

beanie said:
we have been wondering about this as Seren can get her arms out of the 5 point harness one no matter how tight we pull it. It drives me mad.

When they have a 3 point belt they put their arm over the top all the time too... so both ways it can end up like a lap belt.
Saying that I know a boy who was in a very serious accident and had only the lap belt and he was fine.

beanie said:

Arianna does this too!!! She does it in her buggy too!! :roll:

Urchin said:
Saying that I know a boy who was in a very serious accident and had only the lap belt and he was fine.

Lucky lucky boy indeed.

A friend of mine is a Doctor and is called in for many A&E emergency operations. He said he has seen too many lap belt injuries in children and that they can be very severe. When one of their own kids started pulling their seatbelt down so it was like a lapbelt he really told them off and why. None of their kids ever wears a seatbelt like a lapbelt now.

Truthfully, lapbelts are really not good in an accident. IIRC all new cars have to have 3 point belts now don't they? :think:

SarahH said:
beanie said:

My little girl used to do this in her buggy too so I started putting her straps on, then putting her coat over them and fastening it over them kwim? She couldnt do it then!! ;)

lea m said:
SarahH said:
beanie said:

My little girl used to do this in her buggy too so I started putting her straps on, then putting her coat over them and fastening it over them kwim? She couldnt do it then!! ;)

Thats OK in a buggy but not in a car seat cos in an emergency you wouldn't be able to get them out fast.

Lydia and Alex are both in identical 5 point car seats. Lydia is fairly big for her age (not just weight I don't mean she's fat, but fairly tall too) but I don't want to use a booster for her just yet, I want to keep her in a 5 point as long as possible.

Mostly due to this video I must admit. :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back