Does anyone have a 4 year old in a lap belt?

beth3735

Reaction score
Strange question I know but does anyone have no other option but to use just a car lap seat belt for middle seat for a child as young as 4 years old?

My little girl is 4 and half and very skinny and little. But our old car has been written off and the only cars we can afford only seem to have just a lap belt in middle rear seat.

This has never been a problem but with the new baby coming so soon we seem to have no option to put my little girl in a booster seat with just a lap belt.

I am going to be paranoid driving down the motorway with that as her only protection. Also does anyone know how much it is to fit a 3rd 3point seat belt

Sorry to ramble on, just not sure what options I have :D

I found this on a carseat website. Hope it helps :)

It is safer for a child to use a 3-point belt than a lap-only belt but the rear passenger seats are safer than the front seat. Some child restraints (mostly group 1 seats) can be fitted using the lap belt only - check the manufacturers' fitting instructions. If you do have to put a child in the front seat, put the tallest/heaviest child in the front. If there is an airbag, make sure the passenger seat is rolled back as far as possible, that the child seat is very securely fitted and the child is securely held by the harness or seat belt.

If you do have to put a child in a seat with a lap belt, put the tallest/heaviest child in this seat, and make sure the lap belt is worn correctly - across the top of your child's thighs and around their hips, not across their stomach.

SOURCE

Thanks hun for the reply. I have tried to get a quote on adding a 3rd seat belt. But at least I know legal side Things will be OK just as long as i feel my little girl will be safe. :)

My sister often puts my niece in the middle seat (on a booster seat) with just a lap belt. She's just turned 3. There's no problem with safety as long as the seat belt is done up properly & is tight enough.

beth3735 said:
Strange question I know but does anyone have no other option but to use just a car lap seat belt for middle seat for a child as young as 4 years old?

My little girl is 4 and half and very skinny and little. But our old car has been written off and the only cars we can afford only seem to have just a lap belt in middle rear seat.

This has never been a problem but with the new baby coming so soon we seem to have no option to put my little girl in a booster seat with just a lap belt.

I am going to be paranoid driving down the motorway with that as her only protection. Also does anyone know how much it is to fit a 3rd 3point seat belt

Sorry to ramble on, just not sure what options I have :D

i have never used lap belts. my sister works in accident and emergency and shes told me too many stories of kids with snapped spines and broken necks. :(
don't use them

I did say to my dad that I am worried about her being in middle with just lap belt as even though she eats everything we give her she is just so petite. I think she always will be dinky.

I did say that if we were in a major accident it would just cut her in half!!

Will seriously look at getting a quote on monday for a 3rd seat belt fitted if we buy this car.

I know someone (a hospital consultant) who has seen injuries caused by lap belts on children in cars. He feels they are to be avoided where possible and a 3 point seat belt is far safer in protecting a child from injury wearing it. He said a lap belt can cause internal injuries and so on.

Also from reading the link given above it recommends to put the largest and heaviest child in the lap seat over a smaller child.

I'd seriously look into getting a 3 point seat belt fitted, especially if you are going to go on any longer trips.

Why has she got to sit in the middle? :?

Josh is 4, almost 5, and I still wouldn't use just a lap belt.

she would need to be in the middle as I have a 2 year old who needs a proper car seat still and then the baby anyday. Forgot to mention my other child oops :oops:

I will definatly call VW on monday and see what price i would be looking at

beth3735 said:
she would need to be in the middle as I have a 2 year old who needs a proper car seat still and then the baby anyday. Forgot to mention my other child oops :oops:

I will definatly call VW on monday and see what price i would be looking at

Oh, that would explain it then :lol:

my dd1 has to sit in the middle also when in my mum/dads car but she is on a booster seat and they have a 3 point one, i would seriously ask about changing it hun because they are a lot safer. hope you get it sorted and it doesnt cost too much.

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back