TMI SORRY...Iron tablets???

katietateypot

Reaction score
Well like i have said in the title this may be a bit TMI!!!

I have been put on iron tablets only 2 a day for just over a week now. Anyway i seem to get a little tummy ache before opening my bowels. :oops:

Anyway....today at about half 1 i started having really bad pains around my back and at the bottom of my tummy, i knew it was time for the loo but it was so much worse than usual!!! I went the loo an these pains would last maybe 30 seconds an ome back after around 2 minutes each time. After a while jay came down and rang the MW as i couln't get off the toilet and while i had these pains i just wanted to push!!! :eh: (I think Jay went into panick faze at this point!) I felt like i was empty so to speak but still had this massive urge but didnt want to push inase anything happened that shouldnt! She had no idea what to do so told us to ring labour ward who after around 10 minutes came to the conclusion it was the iron tablets not agreeing and to cut them down to just 1 a day.
By the time the pains had settle enough and i was able to come off the toilet and was just after half 2!!! :shock:
(It all felt very loose but sore at the same time :eh:)

My question is...has anyone else had this and is it common with being on the iron tablets??
I'm only on a low dose aswell apparently!

I have had no pains since about 4ish but have a really sore bum!! (SORRY TMI AGAIN!!)

Any replies would be great, just interested in other peoples experiences with this.

Katie xxxx

iv had iron tablets pretty much all my life and they are a nightmare. best thing to do is drink lots of water :)

I've been told pure orange juice which i love right now anyway, the only trouble is it gives me heartburn!!! :wall2:

yeah, orange juice too. and weetabix :)

Hiya,

I've got low iron levels so I took spa-tone (an iron rich watery stuff to put into orange juice) for 3 days. Some friends said it was eaasier on the stomach than other stuff. I got stomach pains and also had the most painful toilet times of my life!!! I was totally constipated and it was so painful to go. I've never experienced anything like it in my life!!!! I stopped taking the iron stuff but when I went back to the midwife she said I still had to take iron tablets as my iron levels were just above the point where they consider them to be low. However, I'm now really scared about getting into the state i was before so i haven't taken any. When I told her about it she just shrugged and said to drink lots of water and to take lactulose solution (which you can get from Boots). I just haven't been able to bring myself to take the pills so have been taking my pregnacare vit pills as they are supposed to have iron in them. Also trying to drink orange juice with each meal and eat lots of red meat, as this contains iron. Don't know if it'll work...!

Anyway, if anyone has a better idea of how to cope with the iron tablets I'd love to know!!! I feel your pain! xxx

Well, I took my first one this morning with breakfast and am supposed to take 3 a day so, in a wierd way, I will keep you posted if anything happens!!

PS: Are yours a yucky brown colour too? I thought they's look more like the folic acid tablets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back