Tips on helping toddler with new baby

Holi

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just wanted some helpful words of wisdom/advice from the second time mums! I'm due in 4 weeks and want my 2yr8m daughter to feel as happy and comfortable as she can with this massive change! Any advice you could give would be amazing!! Thanks a bunch xXxXx

Just lots of love and cuddles, and don't take their behaviour to heart.
Only advice I can give Hun, it's hard work but so worth it xx

Not sure how you plan to feed the new baby but if you bf get your toddler to sit with you - she can bring books and have a snack whilst you feed. Make it about her as opposed to you feeding the baby.

Try and have a bit of time for just your older child every day... I always used to try to do bath time or bed time story and make sure it was just us two.

Involve her as much as possible, get her to help with nappy changes and bathing baby.

If you have a good network then maybe someone can take her for an afternoon here and there and take her somewhere 'nice'. My BIL used to take James out once a week and spoil him rotten.

Best advice though is to be patient. It's subconscious but once new baby arrives you start to view older child as being so capable and you can tend to expect too much from them. They are still babies too.

Tantrums and regression can be testing but you just need to offer reassurance and cuddles.

Hope it all goes well for you

X

Thanks ladies I appreciate all the help! Just nice to hear success stories I think I'm surrounded by friends/colleagues with 2+ kids who keep filling me with horror stories!! Xx

Best thing you can do is talk to her about the baby now and try and explain as much as possible, if you can visit someone with a baby so she gets used to it. Might be worthwhile getting her her own baby doll if she doesn't already have one so she can do what mummies doing with her baby?

I have a just turned 2 year old soon and a month old daughter. The first 2/3 weeks have been challenging as his behaviour has been testing at times, he has however been very good with his sister and shows her lots of affection. I have found explaining everything to him means he reacts much better - even down to that I'm going to the toilet or having a shower!! I've also tried to spend more time with him in his own and let the baby cry abit before going to her. He is reacting much better to home life now. He also still goes to nursery 1 day a week and has spent some time with his grandparents, his dad specifically has given him a lot of attention, more so than the baby.

I think just expect it to take a little time, everything might click straight away which would be great, but equally it might take a couple of weeks.

Lastly we gave Thomas a present from his sister when he first met her and we also only had the four of us in the house when he met her as we wanted it to be about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back