tinned fruit

titch

Reaction score
Just wanted to reply to a thread but its been closed (**bites tongue and controls desire to point finger of blame**)

Tinned fruit was raised and people were unsure whether to use it or not. I went to a weaning course and the lady running it says you can give tinned fruit and its really nice to mush down with a fork cos its softer, and provides a mroe challenging texture than pureed fruit when your baby is moving on.

BUT you need to read the tin carefully, some are in syrup which is very bad for them, but others are in 100% fruit juice so theyre just as good for them as fresh fruit. :dance: I always make sure I have some tins in the cupboard for 'emergencies' when the fruit bowl runs empty.

Thanks for this Hun i wondered about Tinned fruit aswell x

Good to know, I'll get some in x

Just wanted to reply to a thread but its been closed (**bites tongue and controls desire to point finger of blame**)

:rofl: Pahahahaaa!

That is really interesting Tiny - I asumed tinned fruit was a big No No so that's really helpful xx

I was curious about this after reading the thread , thanks :)

Thanks for that, I read that tinned or frozen fruit and veg has more vits etc that fresh stuff cos it tinned at source and not travelled weeks on a boat lol, so is better but wondered if you give it too babies,

yeah this is true I used tinned fruit but not in syrup and I understand what you mean about the frese stuff being carried on boats etc for days x

I buy tinned fruit for the children I childmind. I buy pears, apples, apricots and peaches all in natural fruit juices. Then I blend them in the blender until they're smooth et voila - homemade fruit pots! A tin of pears will make 3 of the fruit pots they sell in the baby isle!! It's sooo much cheaper too! I store them in the fridge and use them as puddings or snacks. :) x

P.S drain the juice first or it's mega runny! x

Last edited:
I buy tinned fruit for the children I childmind. I buy pears, apples, apricots and peaches all in natural fruit juices. Then I blend them in the blender until they're smooth et voila - homemade fruit pots! A tin of pears will make 3 of the fruit pots they sell in the baby isle!! It's sooo much cheaper too! I store them in the fridge and use them as puddings or snacks. :) x

P.S drain the juice first or it's mega runny! x

thanks for this as youve just given me a great idea!!!! my lo loves the cow & gate fruit pots but im always a bit dubious about buying them unless theyre on offer as they can be expensive lol & i do prefer to try and make things myself when i have time. i will be giving this a go later!! ps..can u freeze them??

I've never frozen them before purely because they never last long enough in my house with two 1 year olds to childmind lol. TBH i'd freeze one, then defrost it and have a taste, if it tastes ok then i'm sure it'll be fine! x

Asda do small plastic tubs of fruit (in juice) and they have a good date on them. Good for pineapple since we don't buy them.

Thanks Tinyyy I'm definitely going to stock up on these :) I want that thread back too I was getting lots of help on the raw finger veg for Odhrán.. Oh well x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back