They want me to quit :(

Lola's Mummy

Reaction score
My aim is to let Lola breastfeed for as long as she wants and I hope she will just self wean whenever she is ready :)

My problem is that family members keep making comments about her being too old etc :?
This includes OH, My mum, MIL, FIL, OH's brother, My brother's and OH's Grandma :(
No one else on either side has ever breastfed past 4 months (OH was breastfed for 4 months and his mother thinks she's an expert)

Thing is it's really getting to me. I know I'm giving my daughter the best start possible but i just find these comments really off putting and i feel awkward feeding her in front of these people. I'm even feeling awkward feeding her in public as i think if my own family members are thinking like this what must other people think?
I feel like i have to justify giving my baby breast milk even though everyone was really proud when i first started :(

Sorry I'm moaning but i just need to get it out :|

:hug: :hug: Keep going if you want to, dont let them put you off. Have you got an aim that you wanted to BF to, e.g. a year? It might be easier if they're making comments to say that you want to do it until a certain time? You shouldnt have to justify yourself really. :hug:

how dare they?! tell 'em to sod off!!! :evil: :evil:

you've done brilliantly feeding til now - don't let them put you off. you're giving your little girl an amazing start in life :hug: :hug: :hug:

just tell them that they ought to go and get a job at the world health organisation and teach the chaps there a thing or two as the WHO must have it all wrong recommending that people should bf up until the age of 2!

be proud honey. don't let their ignorance spoil something special.

xxx

grr this makes me mad- they are your family and they should be supporting you, theres enough critisism of feeding in public etc from ignorant strangers making women feel awkward and stopping them feeding, you should be able to rely on those you love supporting you in giving your daughter the best start in life- i say carry on and hold your head high. You know that carrying on is what you want and is best for DD just be defiant and tell them you know what you are doing and you know your daughter-
dont let them get to you! :hug: :hug:

I'm not going to stop because of them. I'll stop when Lola wants me to :)

I just needed to have a moan about them :hug: :hug: :hug:

My mum and sister think i've boobie fed too long, and they said this when she was about 10 weeks old! I only planned on doing it for a couple of weeks but i love doing it! Thing is though. i really can't afford to formula feed anyway. It's so expensive!
Plus, correct me if i'm wrong, don't they get a variety of flavours when you yourself eat different things? Better than boring powder stuff! Lol

yeah I got bitty comments, "she'll never get independant" blah blah blah. Kellymom has a good resource page for dealing with comments clicky

I have said this in another post but I always loved to say when asked "are you still breastfeeding" - "nope I stopped a while ago but Seren is, thank you"

I think you are doing brilliantly Lolas Mummy - sod them! I think you should carry on for as long as you are both happy - why stop?

Grrrr - other people with outdated attitudes make me so mad!

Valentine Xxx

Edit - just found this post I made a few weeks ago about this issue - there were some really helpful replies.

Now lil miss has reached the 6 month mark, everyone has started making comments to me too... I think you will always have people who do... and those who have to fight off such negativity should be applauded more, because it is much harder to do something against peer pressure.. Those who have had the support of everyone around them really don't understand how disheartening it is to hear people who you love and respect put down something you find so wonderful and enjoyable.

I made it very clear that I planned on bfing lil miss to a year regardless of what people said and while I might not booby feed her (she has three feeds a day in a cup) its only boob milk she ever has... thats the best and tbh I honestly cannot afford 30€ a week for formula food... Also if lil miss has reflux this bad on boob milk, what on earth will it be like on formula? :shock: tbh I think most people have issues, because they know its the best, but still link sexuality to it, and to a few woman jealousy at not being able to do it as long as you have...Nah... its the best for my little girl and anyone who thinks different doesn't have my daughters best interests at heart.

:hug: :hug: :hug: You know Lola best and she likes boob hun. Ignore them she's doing great :hug:

WORDS OF WISDOM:

TELL THEM ALL TO SOD OFF LOL

Sorry but they should keep their opinions to themselves! Youre doing something amazing!!!!!!

Tell them all to go do one, you are giving Lola xactly what she needs. My neice is 18months and stlll has boob - they wean themselves anyway.
Do not give up!!!!!

beanie said:
I have said this in another post but I always loved to say when asked "are you still breastfeeding" - "nope I stopped a while ago but Seren is, thank you"

:)

I read this out to my OH and he reckons it's just jealousy! People these days don't tend to breastfeed! If i go into town i feel awkward coz of people nudging each other, staring and whispering! But in Boston they're trying to push breastfeeding again as no one wants to do it!
If people comment i just laugh. I mean at 5am, why would i want to get up and sort a bottle out, when by the time i'd have done all that she'll be fed and back in her cot! It's such a time saver!
Keep doing what you're doing!

Carry on for as long as you want :hug: I b/f my daughter for 20 months, and will do so with Theo if I can :)

You are doing a wonderful job, try to stay happy :D

I agree with the others, carry on for as long as you and your baby are happy with it, don't let anyone pressure you to do something you don't want to. You're the mum here, not them!

Think of a polite way to tell them to eff off.

It's none of their business. They don't have a clue. The world average for weaning is 4 years, obviously not everyone is stopping at 4 months or whatever. They're your boobs, your baby. Lola will probably stop wanting to be fed as much in public soon- so if you really want you don't even have to tell them you are continuing bf, though I personally think they should suck it up (excuse the pun). I get crap from my extended family ( who'd probably replace their breasts with Tommee Tippee bottles if they could) and I find great delight and enjoyment in telling them I shall bf for as long as LO wants

I've been really lucky - my family are supportive of me still breastfeeding (although when Alex gets to 1 DH and I have agreed that he'll be slowly weaned onto cows milk).

If you're happy still breastfeeding, don't worry about what other people think. It's medically proven that you're doing the best thing for your baby, so any pressure to stop comes from old-fashioned ignorance.

that made me soooo mad. You are doing a wonderful job getting to 10 months. These people are just ignorant.

Lola's Mummy said:
I'm not going to stop because of them. I'll stop when Lola wants me to :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Don't give in!! There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding until baby doesn't want to anymore. I so admire you, I wish I didn't give up so early!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back