The Hobby Sticky - Show Off Your Work

Those waxes are amazing!!! But I want to eat them!! :doh:

lisa&alex said:
101_0176.jpg

we just made this :) will be making many more :p

Lisa, how did you do that? Was it some sort of transfer? I would love to do a superman one for Clark!!

yeah it was a tshirt transfure that you print off on ur printer and iron on.. i need to get better quality ones tbh.. i got a cheappy one to test out and its not that great.. so when i get some spare cash im gonna get some better ones..

heres our mummy daughter project which we completetd sewing in the easter holiday.. and my snap press arrived 2 days ago.. so we had lots of fun learning how to apply them together..

101_0258.jpg

we cut out squares of fabric sewed them in lines of 4 then when they were all sewn we sewed the lines together to make a big rectangle then backed it to a sheet.. im thinking of adding some stuff to it later. it only cost about £3 for all the fabric and i guess if you recycle some stuff you could do it for free.. i was thinking maybe some baby clothes would make it really personal.. and your children could pass it down to their children..:)

and a bit of a tip.. even though it is lovely to let your daughter sew.. dont expect the finished item to be prefect.. as you can see we started sewing from the top and most of the squares are higgeldypigeldy lol..

Aww what a lovely project tp do together, i will love doing arty stuff with Eva when she is bigger. And homemede things arent supposed to be 'perfect' a few wobbly edges etc add character! I bet she is very proud of herself, its cool :D

im a pet and baby photographer so am i aloud to show some of my photos on here?

Here are some bits I've made recently. I'm working on a website to sell them through as I've been enjoying it so much, hopefully it will be up and running within a couple of weeks but for now I'm just selling through Ebay.

These are scented with Rock Star (it's a dupe called Rock Candy imported from the US), which is my favourite Lush scent. It's a big muffin candle and 4 wax melts
DSCF1555.jpg

DSCF1558.jpg

Coffee Cake Melts
DSCF1407-1.jpg

Gingerbread Men Melts
DSCF1521.jpg

Coffee Candle (made in an expresso cup)
DSCF1553.jpg

Mini Cinnamon Buns
DSCF1603.jpg

Cinnamon Melts
DSCF1598.jpg

Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows (in expresso cup)
DSCF1405.jpg

I've got lots of new fragrances and moulds to play with and am really excited! Got a fab cookie mould through today that I'm looking forward to trying out tomorrow :)

i thought i would share a few of my photos with you.

5-3.jpg

7-2.jpg

3-8.jpg

12-3.jpg

(please note all my photos are copyrighted and are not to be copied or used without permission).

Oh wow your all so talented!!

Me and OH are in the process of doing funny slogan T-shirt printing :) I'll show you some pictures when the website is finished.

Kina - They look lovely. I have been doing Bakery style candles too :)

Cool! We'll have to compare notes :) (bet yours are better than mine :rotfl: )

I got my palson pot through yesterday so I don't have to melt my wax in a double boiler anymore :lol: Managed to spill a whole can of hot wax all over my hob and floor the other day, so this should be a little safer and cleaner!

Kina said:
Cool! We'll have to compare notes :) (bet yours are better than mine :rotfl: )

I got my palson pot through yesterday so I don't have to melt my wax in a double boiler anymore :lol: Managed to spill a whole can of hot wax all over my hob and floor the other day, so this should be a little safer and cleaner!

Lol I doubt it, yours look very good!! I have only just started so am still trying to work everything out, Its a great hobbie to have but all the different fragrance oils are giving me a headache lol.
I'm using Ecosoya Soy Pillar Blend wax and I see you're using Soy and Parrifin blend, I'm not sure if you know but whats the difference between the two?
lol can you tell I'm a beginner :lol:
The double boiler is a pain in rear lol, I hope you get on ok with your new one :)

I use the ecosoy too :) The reason I add paraffin is to make it more durable. I find that the soy alone is quite soft and smeary (when packaging up). I'm thinking of just changing over to soy totally though, once I've got through the 10kg of paraffin in my cupboard lol.

This is the info on the different types, I've borrowed it from a candle forum :)
Paraffin Wax
This is the most commonly used wax. The majority of candles you see sold in this country are made from paraffin wax. Paraffin wax is derived from crude oil, the oil is filtered and refined to produce the paraffin candle wax. Paraffin wax is white and semi transparent. If you decide to make candles with paraffin wax, be sure to place newspapers down first, as it can be difficult to clean up. If you spill some on your tiling or carpet, you can clean it up by putting paper towels over the spot, then smoothing a warm iron over it. The paper towels should absorb the wax.

Paraffin wax with a low melting point melts at a lower temperature compared to other types of paraffin. It can melt at or below a temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit. This grade of paraffin is very soft and is suitable for making candles in containers. Because it is so soft, it is not recommended for the creation of molded or carved candles.

Medium melting point paraffin changes from a liquid to a solid when it reaches a temperature ranging anywhere from 130 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit. This type of wax is also too soft for making molded or carved candles, so it should be used only when making poured candles.

Paraffin that melts when it reaches a temperature of 145 to 150 degrees is considered high melting point paraffin. The harder wax is suitable for carved and molded candles, and it has a longer burning time compared to softer grades of paraffin.

Paraffin wax has the benefit of being easily released from moulds but paraffin also burns faster than Bees Wax or Soy Wax.

Most people add stearin to the paraffin wax. In some situations, you can buy paraffin wax with the stearin already added. Stearin helps the wax to harden and it also makes the wax more opaque. Stearin also helps the paraffin burn slower and it helps the candle be shinier or more glossy.

Soy Wax
Soy wax is made from either 100% soybeans or a mix of soybeans and natural botanical oils, it burns longer than paraffin wax, and cleans up easily - just use soap and water. For this reason alone it might be wise to use soy wax if you're a beginner candle maker, in any case, it's always wise to place newspapers down first before making candles.

The melting point of soy wax ranges from 120 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the blend. Unlike paraffin wax, soy wax has natural oils that mix well with fragrant oils. Therefore, soy wax holds scent better than paraffin wax and shrinks very little during the candle making process.

For indepth information on the types of Soy Wax see
HERE for our Soy wax info section.

Soy wax has a naturaly creamy white finish, is not semi transparent like paraffin wax and when coloured gives a milky or pastel type result which can make it difficult if tryong to produce a very darkly coloured candle. Perfect however for novelty food and drink type candles though.

Kina I just changed the link in your sig and members shop to the new site...which is looking fab BTW

I bought some of Kinas melts this week too and I just wanna say how amazing my house smells now!!

ohh kina add the linen ones to site!!! i need to buy :D and them lush smelling ones :D my paypal is ready and waiting

paradysso said:
ohh kina add the linen ones to site!!! i need to buy :D and them lush smelling ones :D my paypal is ready and waiting

I got some clean cotton, gingerbread, cinnamon and rockstar ones...yummy!!

BTW paradsso did you see people asking about teething necklaces this week? I pointed them your way :)

paradysso said:

I have the rockstar ones on the website, still need to get the 'honey I washed the kids' fairy cakes on there (shall try and do that tonight). Got some black raspberry and vanilla flipflops to add and they're nearly my new fave (still burning the cinnamon bun like mad though :lol: ).
I've been meaning to email you and ask if you can send me your link so I can add it to my website :)

Will work on some clean cotton ones tomorrow and get them on for you, they're going to be similar to the coffee melts but with little feet embeds on top.

Thanks for the compliments Urchin, I'm really glad you like them. Clean cotton has been a big hit all round with people that have bought them and also friends and family that have been trying them out. My mum gets all the gremlins bless her :rotfl:

Urchin said:
BTW paradsso did you see people asking about teething necklaces this week? I pointed them your way :)

Yep paradysso, have saved your site to my favourites :D

well just had a delivery of 100 teething necklaces so get in quick :rotfl:

and thank you urchin for pointing people my way.

Uchin and Kina do you want link on my site? I think we should have a WAHM section on forum theres loads of us now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back