The great dummy debate

I am Seren's dummy lol. I am not a fan of dummies, but was told to try her with one but she has never taken to it.

The link between SIDS and dummies is not conclusive at the moment, there have been questions about sample size etc.

"Please keep the following in mind:

When it comes to media coverage of SIDS, we often feel a sense of frustration in being confronted with misleading headlines, announcements of so-called breakthroughs and statements taken out of context.

Please read the article, "Mass Media's" Role in SIDS Education, at <http>.

This study does not claim that pacifier use prevents SIDS.

This study's observations confirm several previous reports.

The study concludes that, "Use of a dummy seems to reduce the risk of SIDS and possibly reduces the influence of known risk factors in the sleep environment."

There was a discussion of statistical results that mention, "After adjustment for known confounders, the odds ratio for SIDS in infants who used a dummy during the last sleep was 0.08 (0.03 to 0.21), which translates to a more than 90% reduction of risk in this study compared with infants who did not use a dummy during the sleep."

There was a discussion of the limitations for the study including small sample size, low participation rate, and deliberate under-reporting.

There was a discussion that "potential underlying mechanisms of our observed association should not be confused with the “certainty” of a causal effect between use of dummies and risk of SIDS. The findings from our study and others will collectively provide support for the protective effect of dummies, but they are not “proof” of a causal effect by themselves."
from http://sids-network.org/experts/pacifiers.htm

both my babies had reflux and it easies the pain

i always said didn't want to use one, but after 2 weeks of a baby screaming in agony with reflux pain, my HV said try a dummy, it will help with the pain. it helped a little, but he still needed medication for it - but the dummy is still in use despite the medicine... he had gotten used to it and it's hard to break the habit...

i wish he didn't have it, but it's not the end of the world. i'll have to psyche myself up for a couple of days of screaming in a while when i try to get him off it...

Thanks for your responses guys.

I wasn't having a go at dummies at all or anyone who uses them so let's put that to bed.

I think it's great these days that we all have a choice on stuff.

I use my boobs as a dummy, well I did in the early days and that was hard work.

Dionne, please don't take this thread as a personal attack on you, from all the posts you ever put here you are a fab mum :) I was just curious on it as it was on the news.

I gave Olivia a dummy when she was 10 days old, I had been using my booby instead but I couldn't give her that when we were in the car and she was in the car seat etc! :wink: Mostly she will spit it out now, I only offer it to her when she's fighting sleep at bedtime but whenever I check on her she's spat it out (it's usually on the floor :shock: ) and is asleep and so she doesn't wake up for it.

Lucy

Ella has a dummy. When I was pregnant I decided I didnt want her to have a dummy, I thought you werent meant to if breastfeeding. well after about 10 days of ella not settling at night and crying constantly until 2am I decided that she could have a dummy for comfort instead of my booby!
When the mide3wife came I said I wasnt sure wether to give her a dummy or not and she said ohhh I dont see any problem with them atall, that re-assured me. she only has it at night if she is fighting sleep, sometimes as soon as the dummy goes in her mouth her eyes shut and she goes stright to sleep! but I prefer it if she goes to sleep without it.

Most of the time, thomas is without one but when i go to town, i always take one with me just in case. i used it several times to calm him down and he would spit it out when he was fed up with it. he sucks his thumb a lot though and his fingers are all blistered :roll:

i think there are some real trendy ones now!!!! I use the ones i had for free:
the white avent and the christmas one from maam. a freind of mine told me i could have bought another one than having the christmas one, but for the amount i use it , do not see the point lol

I never used one with Mason, but I had one in the drawer just in case.
When Brody wasn't sleeping well I tried one with him but only for about 1 night, he just didn't take to it.

I think if one makes your baby happy then go for it, isn't making your baby happy what being a mum is all about?

wen i was PG i had loads of people saying dont let my baby have one etc - i never saw a problem in it!
i heard pros and cons about it and thought id buy some incase i needed them,
wen Braydon was 2 day old he cried for half hour (not long but long for him) and i gave him a dummy he refused it, which is fine but if i eva have another bubs and they need a dummy ill use one

I tried to use a dummy with ewan a couple of times when he was inconsolable, but he spat them out all the time, so i have now never used one. I don't like them, but out of desperation one night tried and didn't work.
My usband is completely against them and through the one that i did have in the bin.

Ewan now hasa teething blanket which he only has at night and he loves it.

What i really hate is seeing 3-4yr olds with a dummy in their mouth, they don't need it.

As everyone says its personal preference.

I dont lke it when Ella has her dummy and people say ohhh you dont need that and take it out! Like my boss the other day she was basically saying to me why do you give her a dummy they dont need them and I felt like I had to justify myself and said I dont give it to her at night. But if babies enjoy sucking (like ella does she was a very sucky baby) then why not!

dior sucks hers like the lil girl maggy in simpsons :lol:

Lauz_1601 said:
people say ohhh you dont need that and take it out!

I know, its maddening. If people say she doesnt need it I say I will be the judge of that. Jess is 2 now and I have to say is a bit iffy about giving it up. I take it off her in the moring and she says ' i need it'. I tell her she might want it but certainly doesnt need it' She knows though she shouldnt have it as it gets flung at me as we go into playgroup.

Im not going to worry about it till xmas though and then we will be giving it to santa and the upset of the new baby should have calmed down.

She has went to bed tonight without it. Obviuosly an oversight on her part,

lauramum01 said:
im not going to worry about it till xmas though and then we will be giving it to santa and the upset of the new baby should have calmed down.

She has went to bed tonight without it. Obviuosly an oversight on her part,

cool im going to try and get rid of Diors at xmas we can do it together.

i think its so cute she hrows it out at nursery :lol:

Both of mine had dummies. Didn't want to give Jess one when i was pg but she settled so much better with one in. I took it off her when she was around 2 and she just had it at night till she was 2 1/2. Aimée has one when she goes asleep or is grumpy. She spends most of her time just playing with hers. It is a pain in some ways like if you go out and forget to take a dummy with you.

Yes, xmas sounds like a good time for trying it Dionne. Does Dior try and get harleys dummy?

Charlotte has had a dummy since about 4 weeks old, I prefer dummys to sooth as you can then wean them off them later.

She only uses her dummy now when she is tired in the daytime, she has now found her thumb and seems to prefer this. I didnt want her to suck her thumb as I know a lot of adults that still suck theres!!

lauramum01 said:
Yes, xmas sounds like a good time for trying it Dionne. Does Dior try and get harleys dummy?
no she dont take Harleys, the first 2months after she was born she always had a boots own brand dummy and to till to this day she will still have no other dummy. so harleys are different shape she hates hem although she has been known to pull it out of his mouth.

just hope Dior dont grow up to hate santa for taking all her dummies :lol:
im no sure what to expect from Dior when shes nearly 2? At christmas she will be 1yr and 10months old. at this age will she understand what i mean if i say "we are leaving dummy under tree for santa and in return he wil give you lots of toys"

I never wanted to give Reece a dummy but after a month of screaming if he couldn't suck on my finger i gave in and got him one. The silence was bliss lol but i felt dead guilty for ages and i got lots of nasty comments off my mum and nana :(

He doesn't depend on it though, he likes to sleep with them but can do without. Dunno what he does with them though, i bought him 8 5 weeks ago and now he only has 1 left :?

My best mates nephew just gave his up last year on his 8th birthday!!! :shock: (his mams a right hard faced thing though so no one ever teased him about it)

Thats what i did with Jess to get her off a dummy. Father christmas took it and left toys instead. Worked a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back