The Death Penalty...For or Against?

kazlin

Reaction score
Are you for it or against it?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 837646.ece

This young girl lived a bus ride away from me, her sister came into my shop after her murder handing out leaflets to catch the brute who did this. I felt so sorry for her sister, she looked in a complete daze...well you would!

I have voted yes to the Death Penalty, I know they say eye for an eye and all that, but if I had my way I would throw *******s like this head first into the most hardened criminals cells and let them feel the pain that they have caused a victim and their family! Sod the lethal injection!

Can I just add that I only agree to the Death Penalty if there is absolutely no doubt that the person in question is guilty.

Id say yes as long as there is definate evidence for the crime

There are people who are falsly accused though and that wouldnt be fair

Its the rehabilitation arguement nowadays - thats what the prison and gov go for!

thats a whole new debate in itself

I dont blame her, what he did was unforgiveable.

the death penalty would stop quotes like this:

The lust-crazed monster, who has a string of convictions for sex crimes — and is suspected of killing BEFORE — was ordered to serve a minimum of 34 years.

:wall:

My opinion on this changes with my moods i'm afraid :rotfl:

Sometimes I think they should bring it back as long as there is no shadow of a doubt, and other times I think it would be a step backwards for humanity.

At the moment i'm feeling that prison should mean prison (ie bloody tough and not something to be taken as lightly as it is for some, chain gangs and tough luck if you dont like your cell mate!) and there should me MUCH tougher sentences for things like rape and child abuse, but the death penalty only for very unique cases like serial killers or rapists who have no intentions of changing, no remorse etc.

Dunno, think I'll always be on the fence with this one

:think:

glitzyglamgirl said:

Sometimes I think they should bring it back as long as there is no shadow of a doubt, and other times I think it would be a step backwards for humanity.

this sums my thoughts up perfectly!

I'm undecided, but I agree something really has to be done. The justice and crime rate in this country is a joke. It always amazes me how 'crimes' that generate revenue (parking fines etc) are dealt with so swiftly and firmly with fixed penalties. I think this approach should be taken with crime as a whole. For example, if you steal a car you will get 5 years. No porale, no good behaviour. You will serve 5 whole years.

I read that since the death penalty was abolished, murder rate has increased :think: I'm still undecided!!!

i voted no as i dont think criminals should get away lightly as the death penaty kills them humanly wich isnt fair if u ask me they should suffer

I agree they should suffer but take it from me i work in prison, most don't suffer!! they take the mick and ride the system because they can with all these human rights!

I def voted "for"!!! But only if it is know that a person is 100% guilty!

I just think, that there is no forgiveness and some people dont deserve to live.

I dont think, that even 34 years (probably in a lone cell, with TV, 3 daily meals and walks) can be a punishment. Those people dont change. Like pedophiles and serial killers. And, lets say bloke is 30 when he is caught, he serves 34 years in prison, is 64 when comes out (and some of them are let out much earlier for "good behaviour" (sp?) and gets on killing (raping and sometimes both) again.

And, apart from anything those are OUR taxes, our money they keep them on! Why do I have to pay for some murderer to have a comfy life!??
I would rather that money would be spend on something like free childcare.

Some interesting view points here. I think how I would feel if someone close to me was murdered.

I really feel for the mum of Keith Bennett, one of the children who were killed and buried on the moors, all those years ago. His body has never been found and I feel that the only reason that Brady (one of the killers) should escape the Death Penalty for now is so he can lead the police to where he buried that childs body...lets face it though, he never will, not after all this time!

I am sorry if I am sounding quite harsh in this thread, but it's something that I feel quite strongly about.

Remember, this is just my opinion.

TBH I think there should be more effort concentrated on changing other areas of law, such as sorting out the horrendously low rape conviction rate,than worrying about those already convicted of crimes who are serving long sentences anyway :)

glitzyglamgirl said:

At the moment i'm feeling that prison should mean prison (ie bloody tough and not something to be taken as lightly as it is for some, chain gangs and tough luck if you dont like your cell mate!) and there should me MUCH tougher sentences for things like rape and child abuse, but the death penalty only for very unique cases like serial killers or rapists who have no intentions of changing, no remorse etc.

Dunno, think I'll always be on the fence with this one

:think:

I would agree with GGG. I'm sure if something like this happened to someone I loved I would want to kill them myself. But I can't shake the feeling that somehow, as a society, we would be diminished in some way if we did this. After all - we are better than the scum who abuses life like this. That's not to say I don't think some deserve it - but it is what that would do to US that concerns me. I dunno, it's one of the hardest questions we have to answer I think. I don't think I can ever condone taking a life - no matter who it is. So I voted against.

I think with this subject peoples opinions can change.

When I was 20 my uncle was going out with a girl, her sister was murdered and I could see how it affected the family. Her mother back then wanted the Death Penalty back, just as Sally Anns does now.
I think because this incident was quite close to home it kind of really brought it home to me and my opinion was formed.

yeah, but you cant take it personal when giving somone punishment. That isnt justice.

A life for a life!
Only in my opinion, and only if it is 100% certain that they were the killer!
And maybe NOT if in some cases of accidental killings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back