• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

'The Contented Little Baby Book'

Becs

Reaction score
I just bought this and just wondered if anyone else has it and what they think. Any Mums out there who have tried it or anyone who has read it and has an oppinion?

i have heard of the book but not many people are fond of Gina Ford's methods. i haven't read it, but i know about Gina Ford. in fact the mods have asked that we don't even discuss her methods on the forum cuz they cause conflicts!

sorry girl i thought i'd show you the bit in the rules that says we shouldn't discuss her work. :hug: before the discussion turns nasty :hug:

"Due to legal issues currently occurring between Gina Ford and another forum, we would ask that you do not discuss Ms Ford, her methods, books or otherwise, on this forum at any time".

:hug:

:shock: Sorry.

But just to say, I don't even know what her methods are yet so was miost definetly not advocating them. Sorry Mods. :oops:

Becs said:
:shock: Sorry.

But just to say, I don't even know what her methods are yet so was miost definetly not advocating them. Sorry Mods. :oops:

aaaw bless! :hug:

Those are old rules, we can take them off now.

Basically she took another forum to court for saying nasty things about her.
However, they were saying nasty PERSONAL things about her, not about her techniques.
Feel free to discuss her techniques here....actually I can't stand them and I think some babies respond well to a routine and some just don't.

Cool cheers Urchin. I bought the book as I am interested in getting a routine going as I feel it would give a sense of security. This is my first baby and I need a little guidance but after watching the bringing up baby series I'm not convinced I would want to go as far as that woman on there who did the 50's method. Just wondered what other people have found.

my advice.....follow it LOOSELY, and if you're BF-ing, forget trying to schedule the feeds......

Agreed - we are in a vague feed at 7,11,3 and 7 routine and nappy changes after each feed but that is self found and since she started sleeping through the night at around 6 weeks.

Can't stand Contented Little Baby - have you read The Baby Whisperer by Tracey Hogg? It's routine based but much more chilled out.

Valentine xxx

myfriends followed it with their two daughters and said it was the greatest thing ever. They did have two very contented babies. Although their babies were content, it only worked if they followed it to the precise munute, for instant aftyernoon nap was for 1 hour in the cot, starting at 2pm. It meant that shopping trips, days out were totally governed by naps/feeds

We wanted a routine but also wanted a fairly flexible baby that would nap wherever and whenever it wanted to, which is what we got!!

I agree with Sammystar - it has some good ideas but follow it loosely!!!

It made a great prop when I had to raise the top of Seren's crib when she had a cold, apart from that it really helped my PND when my child refused to go into a routine and made me feel like I couldn't do anyhting right. So have a copy of this and the baby whisperer basically unread

I found it too regimented, however Jake has his own routine- feeds at 7, 11, 3, 7 and 10. Sleep 11-7. Perfect- works with us just fine :)

i was given a copy for free so i read a few pages- but found it very hard 2 understand and far too "military". i didnt bother with it in the end. millie made her own routine at around 2 or 3 months. people on this forum told me not 2 think about routines while she was a newborn coz they dont stay tiny for long- and it was the best advice! shes another one who doesnt hav any children herself (like the 50s woman off of that programme). im sceptical about the parenting methods of anyone who doesnt hav kids themselves! i mean, what do they kno? lol!

beanie said:
It made a great prop when I had to raise the top of Seren's crib when she had a cold, apart from that it really helped my PND when my child refused to go into a routine and made me feel like I couldn't do anyhting right. So have a copy of this and the baby whisperer basically unread

I honestly and truly believe that that book is responsible for a lot of PND. New mothers are very vunerable and if their baby doesn't fit in with what the book says they can feel like they are a failure. :evil:

yep, this time round I am not reading any books. Not having a routine has never harmed Seren and it won't harm this one either.

Just shows how everyone has different ideas, I loved Gina Ford in the early days for her book, it worked well for us.

I bought the book as I am interested in getting a routine going as I feel it would give a sense of security.
My personal opinion is that babies feel secure when they're fed when they're hungry, changed when they're dirty and sleep when they're tired, especially in the first few weeks.

swan1 said:
Just shows how everyone has different ideas, I loved Gina Ford in the early days for her book, it worked well for us.

yeah like I said some babies get on well with a routine, some just don't :)

i read some of it and wasnt keen on it, it sounded to set in stone for me.
i did get the baby book how to enjoy year one by rachel waddilove it had routines in but they were flexible. i liked her attitude of try this if it doesnt work then who cares - not you must do this then otherwise blah blah.

i hate routines...i would not only find it restrictive for the baby but restrictive for my life...

The only routine i had which was after about 6 weeks was bedtiem.. i taught him slowly difference between day and night ...as he started solids he has more of a rough mealtime but he rarely eats much if i feed him first thing in the morning so he does better with a late breakfast. I have a very laid back chilled out baby and i think part of that is i am never in a rush to get things done..he sleeps when he wants i just enocourage him if he is getting tired and grumpy.

i prefer to work on intinct but i am a full time mum which makes that easier fir me to devote my time to my son

I also can't stand anyone telling me what to do LOL

i have the rough guide to babies which give the facts but not rules to follow

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back