The Constipation Advice Thread!

clarebell

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope you find this helpful but, during both of my pregnancies the dreaded constipation kicked in severely during the First Trimester - so for anyone that is starting to suffer too I thought I would create (what I hope is a funny but helpful/useful) constipation advice thread! :blush:

(I'm not joking when I say that when it started it felt like I was having to pass a grapefruit every 4-5 days, and after a month it was more like having to pass a watermelon!)

Okay - So we all know of things that help you to avoid getting it again in the future (prunes, fybogel etc.) - but what can you do when you actually need the toilet.... but can't?

Some things that might help:

- Try raising your feet up when you are on the toilet (using a box or something similar).

- Never try to go to the loo when you are short of time - make sure you have at least 20 minutes (sitting there knowing that you needed to leave for work 10 minutes ago & you're still in your PJs doesn't help things to happen!)

- Try just sitting and waiting for things to happen - no pushing or straining (you think the pushing/straining is helping, but it can actually make you tighten the muscles in the opening of your bottom as you push, when you need them to relax, and so despite all the effort you can't go)

- Try a little bit of :blush: Vaseline around the "opening"

- Try lifting your bottom a couple of inches off the seat, so youre not actually sitting on it

Hope this helps - feel free to add anything else that helps you or let us know if you are struggling too!

Clare xxx

Reading something too so you are more relaxed and it lessens the psychological pressure :lol:

Although it has now passed for me I found not trying to hard and gently rocking was very good as straining really didn't help lol

I have this problem and I'm really scared about the straining as I've heard it could create misscarriage, is there any truth in this at all?

Your first post states that you have never been constipated before, and now you have had it throughout two pregnancies and have lots of advice to give?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back