Teen Pregnancy disscussion/debate; The Sun Website

Princess_Puddles said:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/WHY_DO_WE_HAVE_THE_HIGHEST_TEENAGE_PREGNANTCIES_IN_EUROPE~63~-48417.page

It's really annoyed me but thought some of you might want to take a look and give across your views, and I know there are a fair few of teen mums (me being one of them) on here.

I hope this doesnt offend anyone as its really not intended to!

the virgin mary was a teen mum. She didn't too bad a job raising Jesus Christ

budge said:
Princess_Puddles said:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/WHY_DO_WE_HAVE_THE_HIGHEST_TEENAGE_PREGNANTCIES_IN_EUROPE~63~-48417.page

It's really annoyed me but thought some of you might want to take a look and give across your views, and I know there are a fair few of teen mums (me being one of them) on here.

But I bet she didn't receive benefits. :rotfl:

Freya said:
budge said:
Princess_Puddles said:

:lol:

Freya said:
Not sure what upset you Tinkerbell but theses topics can get heated.

Zebrastripes and libs - I am a tax payer and have been for many year like my parents, grandparents and siblings. If I had to choose then I would rather my tax money went on people trying for IVF then mums (old or young) that don't work and have no one to support them. (Just my honest opinon)

The money,technically,isn't for the mums-it's so they can support their babies. It isn't the babies' fault that their mothers have trouble supporting them. Taking away the benefits the mothers get is taking it away from the babies too.

zebrastripes said:
Freya said:

Zebrastripes and libs - I am a tax payer and have been for many year like my parents, grandparents and siblings. If I had to choose then I would rather my tax money went on people trying for IVF then mums (old or young) that don't work and have no one to support them. (Just my honest opinon)

The money,technically,isn't for the mums-it's so they can support their babies. It isn't the babies' fault that their mothers have trouble supporting them. Taking away the benefits the mothers get is taking it away from the babies too.[/quote

Freya said:
zebrastripes said:
Freya said:

The money,technically,isn't for the mums-it's so they can support their babies. It isn't the babies' fault that their mothers have trouble supporting them. Taking away the benefits the mothers get is taking it away from the babies too.

Plenty of children in this world are brought up in poverty - it doesn't necessary have to be that way in this developed country!!
I don't feel that I should support other peoples children when I would like another one myself but don't think I could afford it finacially even though both myself and my husband do and always have worked - sorry.

ditto :clap:

Freya said:
zebrastripes said:
Freya said:

Plenty of children in this world are brought up in poverty - it doesn't necessary have to be that way in this developed country!!
I don't feel that I should support other peoples children when I would like another one myself but don't think I could afford it finacially even though both myself and my husband do and always have worked - sorry.

Yes,that's why we have the beneifts system.

If you've ever claimed Child Benefit,like millions of other people, doesn't that count as sponging? You are not supporting other people's children,your taxes could be allocated in many ways.I take it you don't think you should be paying pensioners' bus fares or other peoples' healthcare either?

You may not agree with it now,but if you ever found yourself in the situation where you had to claim benefits-whether you lost your job,or had to claim sick benefits,or whether a child of yours got pregnant at 15-then you wouldn't be complaining

Freya said:
budge said:
Princess_Puddles said:

Her son could turn water into wine!!!

If thats not a benefit I dont know what is!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

J-Do1979 said:
Freya said:
budge said:
[quote="Princess_Puddles":kxoclpa4]http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/WHY_DO_WE_HAVE_THE_HIGHEST_TEENAGE_PREGNANTCIES_IN_EUROPE~63~-48417.page

:rotfl: :rotfl:[/quote:kxoclpa4]

That just made me choke on my crisp :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Freya said:
J-Do1979 said:
Freya said:
budge said:
[quote="Princess_Puddles":218m6dcr]http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/WHY_DO_WE_HAVE_THE_HIGHEST_TEENAGE_PREGNANTCIES_IN_EUROPE~63~-48417.page

That just made me choke on my crisp :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:[/quote:218m6dcr]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I never claimed benefits when I had Tia... I had to live off my student loan which wasn't very much (4000 quid for a year I dare anyone to raise a kid on that) and about 3 quid a week from the working families tax credit people. When I finished my degree, my loan stopped... so you would think that my working families tax credit would have been either replaced by income support or more tax credit... but NOOOoooooo I was left to survive on just 3 quid a week. I got no housing benefit because I wasn't claiming income support so didn't qualify, I didn't qualify for council tax benefit... because there was this stupid rule that said once you had been awarded your family tax credit award that was it.. it couldn't be changed...

I had to beg and borrow from my parents, ended up in loads of debt with my rent, went without food so my daughter could eat... and why didn't I get a job... because I couldn't afford the child care because my "family tax credit award" had already been awarded... and that was that. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Its one of the reasons I had to come to Spain, because the UK government screwed me over, yet if I had sat on my bum, not worked or tried to better myself through education, I would have had money thrown at me.

I think it's unfair to lay blame at teen mums. Not all of them do it to get money, and those that do try and get on their feet, the government shoot them down. If anyone wants someone to blame for teen mums doing nothing but claim benefits, its the government because they don't help people get back on their feet.

Squiglet said:
Freya said:
J-Do1979 said:
Freya said:
budge said:
[quote="Princess_Puddles":3sct3lwb]http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/WHY_DO_WE_HAVE_THE_HIGHEST_TEENAGE_PREGNANTCIES_IN_EUROPE~63~-48417.page

I never claimed benefits when I had Tia... I had to live off my student loan which wasn't very much (4000 quid for a year I dare anyone to raise a kid on that) and about 3 quid a week from the working families tax credit people. When I finished my degree, my loan stopped... so you would think that my working families tax credit would have been either replaced by income support or more tax credit... but NOOOoooooo I was left to survive on just 3 quid a week. I got no housing benefit because I wasn't claiming income support so didn't qualify, I didn't qualify for council tax benefit... because there was this stupid rule that said once you had been awarded your family tax credit award that was it.. it couldn't be changed...

I had to beg and borrow from my parents, ended up in loads of debt with my rent, went without food so my daughter could eat... and why didn't I get a job... because I couldn't afford the child care because my "family tax credit award" had already been awarded... and that was that. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Its one of the reasons I had to come to Spain, because the UK government screwed me over, yet if I had sat on my bum, not worked or tried to better myself through education, I would have had money thrown at me.

I think it's unfair to lay blame at teen mums. Not all of them do it to get money, and those that do try and get on their feet, the government shoot them down. If anyone wants someone to blame for teen mums doing nothing but claim benefits, its the government because they don't help people get back on their feet.[/quote:3sct3lwb]
That's very true.I think the government are slowly cottoning on to the fact that throwing money about doesn't really do any good in the long term. I don'tget much in the way of actualy cash-only my child benefit-but I do get healthy start vouchers and they have this thing called the School Age Mothers project which I believe has only started quite recently- where you get help with childcare arrangementas etc so you don't have to drop out of school.

zebrastripes said:
Squiglet said:
Freya said:
J-Do1979 said:
Freya said:
[quote="budge":20go0x4v][quote="Princess_Puddles":20go0x4v]http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/WHY_DO_WE_HAVE_THE_HIGHEST_TEENAGE_PREGNANTCIES_IN_EUROPE~63~-48417.page

I think it's unfair to lay blame at teen mums. Not all of them do it to get money, and those that do try and get on their feet, the government shoot them down. If anyone wants someone to blame for teen mums doing nothing but claim benefits, its the government because they don't help people get back on their feet.[/quote:20go0x4v]
That's very true.I think the government are slowly cottoning on to the fact that throwing money about doesn't really do any good in the long term. I don'tget much in the way of actualy cash-only my child benefit-but I do get healthy start vouchers and they have this thing called the School Age Mothers project which I believe has only started quite recently- where you get help with childcare arrangementas etc so you don't have to drop out of school.[/quote:20go0x4v]

That is fantastic Zebrastripes - good luck with your studies.

sounds like u have ur head firmly screwed on zebrastripes wish you the best of luck, your lo has a great mummy :)

I think Zebrastripes is a brilliant example of how a teen mother can be a brilliant one and not allow it to stop her achieving some things in life, :clap:

The only thing is when I think about teen pregnancy being a problem I'm thinking of the majority of teen mums brought up on estates who do just see it as a passport to benefits. I'm not saying this is a glamorous life at all, I know it's a struggle but for some girls this is the way of life they want. You can't deny that a problem exists.

Something does need to be done about it, at the end of the day if you are under 16 sex is illegal, (not that I'm an :angel: ) At that age you should NOT be having sex and you should NOT be having a child. I'm not saying when mistakes happen these girls should not be supported but I'm not gonna pussyfoot around saying it's ok cos it's not. When I was at school there were girls in my school having babies while we were in our last 2 years, 14-15 years old, I thought it was cool at time, my mates having babies :dance: now I look back and think it's sad they missed out on the other stuff you do when your young. That they couldn't wait a bit longer before having children, I think I feel more strongly about this now cos I'd hate to think of my own child in that position.

I think we all agree that having a baby is an amazing thing and regardless of your age it improves you life in a million ways you never thought possible. I would never ever say a baby would ruin anyones life even at 15/16 BUT it will stop you experiencing the remainder of your childhood.

A baby is the best miracle in the world and a precious little gift, but one that is worth the wait and doesn't need to be rushed into!

Sweetcheeks24 said:
I think we all agree that having a baby is an amazing thing and regardless of your age it improves you life in a million ways you never thought possible. I would never ever say a baby would ruin anyones life even at 15/16 BUT it will stop you experiencing the remainder of your childhood.

A baby is the best miracle in the world and a precious little gift, but one that is worth the wait and doesn't need to be rushed into!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Freya said:
budge said:
Princess_Puddles said:

I dont receive any benefits other than CB and CTC, I work full time as does my OH, have my own place and a brand new car. What im fed up with is people refering to 'All Teens' as people who are on benefits etc.. but not 'All' teens are. Ive worked ever since I was 13, getting up at 5am to do my paper round and then when I turned 16 I was straight out every day looking for part time jobs (I was still at school) and got one a week or 2 later, when I found out I was pregnant I never had any intentions of giving up my job, in fact I took the decision to look for a full time job once my maternity leave was up and I did! As much as I love Harrison, I love working too! My time away from him is great, I miss him loads and his smile when I walk through the door makes my heart melt! I have nothing against mothers on benefits if they really need to be, I know how hard it can be to be a single parent (I have a few friends who are) and also how expensive things are but I dont feel it makes me a bad Mum either because Im not a SAHM.

Sorry I got a bit carried away there

budge said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

I disagree with that comment, sorry but having Harrison has not stopped me from experiencing the remainder of my childhood, I was 16 when I fell pregnant, im 18 now and I still go out with my friends and enjoy myself and dont feel I miss out, in fact since having Harrison ive made alot of new friends!

Princess_Puddles said:
budge said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

I disagree with that comment, sorry but having Harrison has not stopped me from experiencing the remainder of my childhood, I was 16 when I fell pregnant, im 18 now and I still go out with my friends and enjoy myself and dont feel I miss out, in fact since having Harrison ive made alot of new friends!

Well your more than entitled to disagree as I am entitled to my opinion :)

Like I said in my post, a baby improves your life in a million ways but regardless of your age it does stop you from experiencing certain things, I have a few friends who had babies really young, 14/15 and you cannot tell me you can experience your full childhood with a kid in tow. Even my friends admit that is the case (not that they would change having their babies for anything in the world)

In my full post I did say the girls who have unplanned pregnancy's need our full support, but I 100% think it is wrong for a kid of that age to be 'planning' to have babies.

Something does need to be done regarding the teenage pregnancy rate in this country.

Freya said:
budge said:
Princess_Puddles said:

Well there was no room at the inn so maybe she applied for a flat??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back