"Mask of Pregnancy"

Naaat

Reaction score
So has anyone else experienced this? Or starting to?
If you haven't heard of it, it's when dark patches appear on your face, usually around the forehead, cheeks and upper lip.

My mum and my aunt both had it on their upper lip during pregnancy.
I think I may be getting it. I have red spotty things on my cheeks, you can't really see them unless you look close, but they're there. My mum said hers went red before turning brown.

But yeah they make me feel really insecure, as I'm expecting them to become darker, does anyone know what can sort of prevent that happening? I've heard wearing sun screen helps, but tbh we're not getting much sun right now lol.

I have heard of it, but I have never known anyone to get it... sorry xx

I got a patch about the size of a 20p peice last pregnancy at the side of my left eye and this time i have a small brown patch under my right eye, kinda on the cheeck bone. Foundation covers it quite well but they don't bother me really, it will fade in time just like the brown line you get on your belly.

I don't know of any ways to avoid it tbh. I hope your redness goes and doesn't turn into 'the mask' xx

I got it with my last pregnancy and have it already on my forehead with this one! Foundation covers it quite well! :)

Yeah I've been using foundation lol but I wasn't sure if it would irritate it or not lol. I guess it's ok then. :)

I have never heard of this, hope it doesn't get too bad for you, and I guess factor 100 for the summmer onyour face just incase this helps.

It was only the other day I read about this, I havn't got any mark on my face (yet) but my whole belly has got darker, and where the dark line is my hair has got darker too, a bit like a blokes beer belly tbh :shock:

oh my mum was telling me abut this pregnancy mask.. but from what you're describing it sounds like little blood spots (which aren't anything to worry about and i could be wrong!) but are you having any morning sickness yet? as everytime i am sick i get a mass of little tiny red spots around my eyes and forehead and cheeks. so maybe it could just be that and they disappear in a few days if you're not being sick every day.. maybe next time you see your midwife/doctor just ask about pregnancy masks maybe they'd be able to help? hope i helped somehow! xxx

Ahh thanks! Yeah I have been getting morning sickness. Mostly just nausea, but occassionally throwing up.
Thanks that helped a lot. :)

Hi Huni

I have had this, id didnt get it in my first pregnancy which was over 7 years ago, but i did get it with my last one, i went to gran canaria at 24 weeks pregnant and not one single part of me caught the sun just burned (and im oilived skin and usually tan lovely) other than above my upper lip, it looked like id grown a moustache, but it was brown pigmantation (bad spelling) i hated it, i still have it slightly and my son is 18 months old, it started to fade once i stopped breastfeeding, however it can be affected by the sun as its the something begginning with M in your skin that also makes you tan! so now i wear factor 50 on my top lip and dont rub it in!!! x x x x

Ahh thanks! Yeah I have been getting morning sickness. Mostly just nausea, but occassionally throwing up.
Thanks that helped a lot. :)

aw you're welcome, i'm glad i could help :D xxx

I haven't heard of it before hun, but I found some info on reducing the effects:

Melasma can be stubborn, but there are things you can do to minimize its appearance:

Use a cleanser that contains alpha hydroxy acids like lactic acid or glycolic acid to help accelerate cell turnover. (Don't confuse these with salicylic acid, though, which is not recommended during pregnancy.)

Next, apply a skin-lightening product. I believe that over-the-counter products with hydroquinone are safe, but many pregnant women prefer to avoid that ingredient (and the FDA is considering a ban, which might make it unavailable anyway!). I recommend DDF Intensive Holistic Lightener as a great hydroquinone-free option.

Concealer and foundation are safe to use during pregnancy (just avoid anything that contains salicylic acid or retinol), and an immediate way to get rid of melasma for a while! White and yellow concealers are the best way to cover the brown pigmentation associated with melasma. A skin care line called Derma Blend is great at covering these unwanted patches.

UV exposure will darken existing patches of hyperpigmentation; furthermore, some research suggests that UV exposure is necessary for melasma to develop. Avoid the sun when possible, wear a hat, and be sure to slather on sunscreen. Pregnant and breast-feeding women should use physical blockers - those that contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, that is - like Blue Lizard Suncream from Australia.
Some researchers have also suggested that stress may produce hormones that worsen melasma. Whether it's true or not, one thing's for certain - expectant moms deserve a little R and R! Find time to take a long walk or a warm (not hot) bath.

:hug:

my friend gets it hun, its just pigmantation her mw says, she dark marks round her mouth

it will soon go when u have had bubs

xx

I'm 23 weeks and have recently developed some small random dark patches on my face. So wierd as this never happened with babies 1 & 2. Lookes like I haven't washed my face properly lol.

Ah thanks for the help people! I woke up today and the patches at the sides of my eyes have turned light brown, so I'm guessing this is what it is. Foundation covers it up ok though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back