TANTRUMS.....HELP

rhian85

Reaction score
okay ladies christopher is 16months and his tantrums are horrid as soon as he is told no or cant have somethig that he wants (usualy something he cant have anyway) well he screams , lies on the floor crying and has started banging his head onthe floor repeatedly until we pay him attention :shock: :shakehead:

we at present just ignore his temper and walk away from it but with him banging this head on the floor/radiator/door until we pay him attention we are not to sure where to go from here with out giving into it.

OH has suggested that we bring his playpen back down out of the loft and as soon as the head bangin starts he goes in the playpen for one minute (1 minute per year of age) then once he has clamed down to let him out.

does this sound realistic ? or will it just add to the problem?

little sod its as if hes thought "well if u ignore me ill just bang my head until u give it" urrmmmm...no :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

HELP :wall: :wall:

Obviously I'm nowhere near this stage yet, but I think putting him somewhere safe and leaving him to get on with it is a good idea. Ignoring a tantrum is the best thing to do but obviously you can't do that if he's going to hurt himself - the playpen sounds like it'll be worth a try if it'll stop him banging his head and you can do something else until he's calmed down.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works!

I think he's a bit young to understand the super nanny minute for age thing, I'd just ignore him. Both mine have done it (Alex is still going through it) and it's just a way for them to let out frustration.
Although my two have bruised their heads before, they're not going to do it hard enough to cause brain damage and I've found ignoring it the best way.

By putting him in his playpen for a certain amount of time it's almost like a punishment, i.e. the naughty step and I don't think he's going to understand why he's being put in there for venting, especially as he's only 16 months.

Soz just my opinion. :wave:

Kina said:
I think he's a bit young to understand the super nanny minute for age thing, I'd just ignore him.
Soz just my opinion. :wave:

I agree with that. I do think though he wont understand the supernanny thing, he knows what he is doing.. If he kicks off I would lie him on a bean bag or soft thing and leave him. Let him see there is nothing to be gained by this and when it stops praise him and distract him.

I find wee boys tantrums to be quite physical where as wee girls would rant and rant, wee boys want to hit something.

I was going to post about the same thing! Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you but am hoping for some too! At home I just leave him to it on the beanbag as laura says but it happened yesterday while I was in the middle of a shop! :oops: :oops: What do I do?!

thanks ladies i wasnt too keen on the idea of using the play pen thats why i wanted to hear ur opinions..mite have to get a beanbag me thinks at least then he cant hurt his head..

thks ladies :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I used to ignore him in the middle of shops to.

Got strange looks from other shoppers but if i walked off he usually just got up and followed and we got on with it.

If you ignore it they are not long in understanding its getting them nowhere

Austin has horrible tantrums, he kicks and hits and has even held his breath once or twice. I ignore it if he's just going to hurt himself but I never know what to do when he hits me - I never know whether to ignore him or move him away from me.

And I thought the tantrums didn't start til they were 2! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back