Taking baby on her first holiday???

Vicxzy

Reaction score
How young is too young? We had a holiday booked in Sept before we knew we were expecting, bubs will be 3 months old...its only to Cornwall for 4 nights but wondered if itll be ok for her to travel so far at 3 months old? Thanks Guys x

Baby will be fine as long as u have regular breaks from the car seat if its a really long journey. My family are dotted all over england and i live in scotland so when my son was born he was travelling all over the place from 3weeks old! x

No age is too young hun. As long as you are not going camping in winter (lol) baby will be fine. My boss and his wife took their youngest to a festival at 6 weeks! (I thought they were raving mad...but still!)
xx

Ahhh thats good to know! A festival? flippin heck! lol How long is too long in a car seat? its about a 7 or 8 hr journey....might book a hotel halfway down there & back maybe?x

I think that should be fine- we're taking Ella to Lanzarote in a few weeks time when she'll be almost 6 months old - I have been happy taking her at 3 months.

I think the recomendation is that the baby should be taken out of the car seat every few hours for a period of time hun. Just stop a couple of times on the way down and let baby have a stretch out on their back etc - you are going to need to feed and change baby anyway so I am sure it will all work out.

xx

yeah thats what we did, just scheduled stops for when baby was due feeds and breaks, i think its 2hours in the car seat and then half an hour out?!? it may have changed but thats what i was told then. x

im planning on taking my LO to tenerife when he is five months old and when he is 4 months we are going to devon for a long weekend so i would say ur absolutely fine, u would need to stop on the way/way back for feeding, nappy changes etc so it shouldnt be a problem at all. in the daytime even at home the only place my baby will nap is his car seat! xx

Well we live in Oz and are planning on coming home to the UK for Christmas...bubs will be 5 months old by then. A friend o ours did the same thing last year, but her LO was only 4 months. We live in Perth, so it will be approximately 24hrs of travelling...17-18 of those hours on a plane! Now that's gotta be hard!! I'm dreading it!
I'm sure if you have breaks along the way, you'll be fine. A little break will be lovely! xx

we've just come back from center parcs Alex was 6 weeks when we went and he was fine, just had regular breaks to get him out of car seat, change and feed him. Took pretty much his entire wardrobe with us though as well as a bouncy chair which was a lifesaver.

No age is too young hun. As long as you are not going camping in winter (lol) baby will be fine. My boss and his wife took their youngest to a festival at 6 weeks! (I thought they were raving mad...but still!)
xx

good lord and i thought getting married with baby 6 weeks old was adventurous...ha ha

i struggled with glastonbury with no baby! ha ha, my wedding will be a doddle compared to a festival! xx

Glad to hear it ladies! After reading all ur posts we r tempted to go abroad too! A colleague has a house in Spain & we thought of going there when bubs is 3-4 months ish, there's no air con tho just fans would it be too hot for baby?x

Our in laws lived in Spain when Joseph was born & we took him abroad at 4 months & have taken him abroad 2-3 times per year ever since. As long as you are sensible in the sun with them & make sure they have good sunblock on, a UV bathing suit is good as they cover most of the body, this way only bottoms of legs, arms, neck & face need sun lotion applying. Make sure babies head is covered with a hat & use a parasol to keep the direct sun off them. Depending where you travel abroad (if you decide to) they sell lots of UK baby stuff over there so you don't need to take it with you. For example "Dodots" are the foreign brand name for Pampers, so you can buy wipes & nappies when you get there. The only thing I would definitely take is Formula as brands are very limited abroad. Joseph wasn't a fan of the jars of food abroad, but as we were self catering we just made him food as we did at home & just packed baby rice & porridge in boxes in our suitcase.
You just need to adapt things depending on babies age. A lot of hotels provide welcome packs for babies with nappies, food, formula etc. so you don't need to take it all with you. Travelling in the UK is good as you have all mod cons already here & if you forget something, you can get it when you're there. As everyone else has said, have a break & take baby out of the car seat every 2 hours approximately for a stretch. Most important of all, just enjoy your holiday & your time together as a family x

Sunnyb xxx

We took Ross to spain when he was 9 weeks at the start of September. My OH's mum and dad took their caravan over while we flew out and we stayed in the caravan awning with Ross. We had the angelcare monitor so we could keep an eye on the temperature but only had a couple of fans to help with the heat. He did sleep a lot though, but generally wasn't bothered by the whole experience.

A friend took their little one to cornwall at about 4 weeks old, he was fine, and they both enjoyed the break, and being able to spend time with baby without others popping in to see them (read that as baby, who actually visits the parents when there is a newborn in the home)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back