• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Takes half the feed then not interested

Becs

Reaction score
Please can anyone help me? Austin (9Ibs) feeds happily taking about 60mls then I wind him and he refuses to take anymore. I spend all of his feeds trying to coax him into taking more and am worried he will develop an eating problem because he will associate feed time with a battle ground. I don't know why he does this, it was the same when breast feeding - he'd take even less as he would only suck for 5 mins and was loosing weight. He was diagosed on this basis with reflux but the gaviscon rarely makes any difference, it just gives him playdo poo.

Has anyone else got experience of this? I have found when he is relaxed i.e just woken up or just falling asleep, he feeds better and his night feed is always the easiest.

Any advice would be soooooooooo, greatly appreciated. Is the a magic room in this forum with all the answers?

Love
Becs x

:hug: :hug: :hug:
I know you replied to my post about the same sort of thing, so just wanted to offer you hugs, i know how frustrating it can be! We've give up trying to get the bottle in her mouth when she isn't interested as OH accidently made her gag the other day and we felt really guilty!

It's stressful though as i'm sure she's not getting as much as she should!

Connie's like this too. Takes 3oz fine on the first 'go', burps and is sick, then might take another 1oz, burps... and then after that it becomes a real battle no matter how hungry she is. She cries SO LOUDLY and like she's in pain if I try to feed her again. However, when she's dozy (like Austin) she'll do 6 or 7oz but it's ridiculous her having her best feed in the night.

This is a recent thing for us - she was fine up to a couple of weeks ago. The HV recommended using a bigger teat - have you tried this Becs? Have to say it hasn't really worked for us.

Kathryn is the same when breastfeeding- she was once a baby that fed contendedly for at least 15 minutes every couple of hours, now she seems disinterested in feeding during the day and will scrape 10 minutes if I'm lucky. Her night feeds are always the best which is frustrating when we keep being told that night waking will reduce if we feed them more during the day! I'm trying is all I can say! I just keep telling myself that it is just a phase brought on by the fact that she's become much more aware and is worried she'll miss something if she concentrates for too long on feeding. :hug: Hope things improve for your LO soon xxxx

Girls, how old are your babies? Austin is 8 weeks (corrected). I just wonder if they are all a similar age then maybe we can put it down to being a phase. Debecca - I recently moved to tt number 2 teat which flows quicker it means he gets more in his short burst but doesn't seem to makee a difference to his recent eating style.

okay, just looked at your tickers and can see that they are all pretty small still and quite close in age. Fingers crossed it's something that clears up!

Has this just started since moving up a teat size? We tried to move DD up a teat size last night but it was a disaster - she kept pulling away because the milk was coming too quickly for her, so we went back to the younger size and she was fine. TT teats are sometimes a problem for her as they are so squishy and easily go off to the side. Avent size 2 teats work best for us.

Thanks Kalia, might try Avent although I gave him a smaller teat yesterday as a test again and he did the same, just took slightly longer to get to 60mls, but still stopped there :roll:

Something very exciting happened at the 10am feed today. Austin happily fed like a normal baby and polished off 150mls in about 20mins without the usual coaxing and 30 min breaks between. He did have a particuarly poor 7am feed so that might be why but am feeling more positive as now I know he can do it. Fingers crossed things get a bit easier!

maybe hes got a tiny tumy & cant fit anymore in, when caitlyn was born she was 4lb 9 - started off on 2 oz, then 3oz & is still on a 4oz bottle,

We had a breakthrough too! Last night she took 180ml in 45 minutes!!! (a tiny bit of stopping and starting) but YAY and then she slept for 5 hours. Whoop!

I think this may be due to the hot weather as well?

As it happens Connie is really biffing out at the moment and sleeping longer at night so she must be getting enough food even though she's eating less than she ever has done... perhaps their metabolisms are learning to get more from the food perhaps?

Who knows??

Anyway she had a rubbish day food wise yesterday but today seems a bit better.

She didn't wake til 3.30 in the night I was like :shock: :cheer: when I looked at the clock! That's 8 hours solid!

I think its just a phase girls, we went thru a simular thing a few weeks ago.

Now however Chester cannot get enought of the white stuff!! Taking 9oz(!!!) every 4 hours!!! but he does sleep for 12 hours thru the night.

:shock: :shock: :shock: 9oz. Lol, I tried Caitlyn with 5oz last night and she had 4.5oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back