syntocinon injection..

sarafet said:
[i think i've heard that too sherry, it makes the contractions stronger?

xxx

Something like that. It stimulates your body into getting on with its jobs and delivering the placenta after baby requires another contraction or two. So putting baby to breast, even if its just for stimulation is meant to help. Hormones (or is it endorphins) are released when bf'ing is started (and it kicks in during labour also), and also your milk should start to kick in then if its not already done so.

Its what I'll be doing anyways :) I don't feel the need for an injection and hormones tbh. My body is designed to do this and should be able, all being well. If I need a bit of help as its not happening on its own after a reasonable amount of time then so be it, but I'll be changing position and putting baby to breast to see if it helps.

The drug usually used in the injection is a combination of syntocinon and something else that causes the uterus to contract and clamp down. Having been induced with syntocinon (hellish) and having had the injection for third stage I can easily say it's nothing to worry about if people are concerned it will cause painful contractions after the baby is born. I barely noticed them.

However I can say after my experience that if I do have another baby at some point I won't be wanting the injection again because, as I experienced, retained placenta is a pretty common side effect.

In my case the midwife applied traction to the cord (as they do for an "actively managed" third stage), it snapped and the placenta was left inside. I had a general anaesthetic for removal because I couldn't have an epidural so I can't really comment on that.

I did rather get the impression at the hospital I was at that they really needed to do a shape 'em up and ship 'em off type job because labour ward was packed.

daftscotslass said:
I did rather get the impression at the hospital I was at that they really needed to do a shape 'em up and ship 'em off type job because labour ward was packed.

that's the exact impression i've got from mines as well, especially since they have closed off another of the wards :roll:

someone asked last night what the usual length of stay in hospital was - he said - i assume 2/3 days? my mw laughed :rotfl: she said 2 days for c-section patients, a normal delivery and they want you out asap :rotfl:

sarafet said:
someone asked last night what the usual length of stay in hospital was - he said - i assume 2/3 days? my mw laughed :rotfl: she said 2 days for c-section patients, a normal delivery and they want you out asap :rotfl:

6 hour discharge if you give birth in the daytime, you can be home for the evening. If you deliver in the evening or overnight they keep you till the next morning but otherwise, it tends to be out the door pretty quick. Of course complications can mean a bit of a longer stay.

I thought it was funny - at the antenatal classes it was very much "you go home when you're ready". The reality was that even though I literally couldn't stand for 3 days, the second I was up and independent with Rebecca I was down for discharge. I absolutely wanted to go home, right enough, but I'm sure there will be people who feel rushed out.

I feel really bad for the midwives on the ante/postnatal ward as they are so stretched. Not only are there not enough of them, the amount of paperwork they have to do means that they are forfeiting breaks and meals just to care for people. Don't think I've ever met a more dedicated bunch.

The midwives i've spoke to said that women are normally so preoccupied with their new babies that they barely notice the time it takes to deliver a placenta naturally and that it won't seem like long at all.

As for when you are discharged - my local hospital give you a choice, you can ask for a 6 hour discharge or you can choose to stay in longer - upto 3 days!! providing there is a bed for you. Yet the hospital 2nd closest will basically chuck you out as soon as they can!
I was also relieved to find at mine that you can sign a self-discharge form and leave after 2 hours - even if it's 2 am!

Before I had Harrison I didn't want the injection and wanted to wait for the cord to stop pulsating but when he was born I just wanted it done asap, stupidly though they get the needle ready and then ask you if you want it! If you really are against it i'd let them know when you get there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back