Sweeps

inky

Reaction score
I saw my midwife again this morning, I'm currently seeing her every 48 hours for a bp check. Anyways, I have a consultant app on weds and mw seems to think that they will want to induce me. I don't want to be chemically induced, so she has said that she would be willing to do as many sweeps as are needed, every 48 hours until the consultant runs out of patience. This does seem more favourable than drug induction but the thought of actually having one gives me the jitters! Is there anyone who can tell me what they actually feel like? Or would anyone skip the sweeps and just let the docs do their thing?

know how u feel i wanna ask 4 one at my 40 week appt but ppl say th MW out her whole hand up there??? god knows if thats true but even when 0H puts more than 3 fingers it hurts lol sorry tmi!

I heard about the whole hand thing too, it just makes me cringe! I've got to know my mw fairly well now and I'm not sure I could look her in the eye again afterwards lol!

they dont put their whole hand up lol they put 2 fingers up and sweep your cervix. It is uncomfortable and a little embarrassing but lasts about 30 seconds and if it works are totally worth it :) xx

I don't mind how many fingers she puts up there as long as it helps! lol...within a few days Ill have a head coming out my foof...Im sure a few fingers will seem like a distant memory.

Oh lord....dignity is already leaving me. *sigh*

yea its only two fingers and lasts like 30 seconds!

it is kinda embarrising but after you have a baby you have no dignity left anyways ha ha!!

i was 8 days over due had a sweep on the weds and she was out the friday night good luck!! :)

I'm having a sweep on Wed (if my cervix is "favourable") and tbh I'm not bothered, if it gets things moving!

O, 2 fingers aint that bad then made me feel better about that lol! surely sex has got 2 be very similar then

Last edited:
Sweeps are far better than induction. I had to have two with my second and three with my third but they did the trip and i will be askng for one on my due date - if bubs isn't here. They don't hurt but mw aren't down there looking they do it all by touch and generally look in your direction! It is also nice to know how things are doing down there. You will often hae a show aftrwards which is normal as is a bit of period pain xx

I had a sweep in the morning and my waters went at 3pm, I believe it did help get things moving. I was supposed to have a chemical induction but didn't need it in the end. I will be honest I was very surprised by how much it hurt, it didn't last long but it was more painful than i thought it, not sure how to describe it, but it was painful and uncomfortable, but worth it. I would have one again, hope all goes well for all you ladies due soon x

My sweep was merely a little uncomfy, a smear test is worse IMO! It got me going though and 12 hours later my surges were 5 mins apart :)

blimey, so tomorrow if they say that that's the way forward then things might be moving a little quicker than we first thought! I guess it will all depend on how my bp is and who I get to see tomorrow morning. Think I'll spend the day preening and grooming just in case lol!!

my midwife starting talking about sweeps yesterday and she seemed to feel the need to do a hand gesture whenever she said 'sweep' it involved 2 fingers if that helps!! :rofl: *cringe*

but Id definately have one before chemical induction. Bear in mind noone, even doctors, really understands what starts labour, Id rather do everything I can to make it start without them meddling in what they dont understand.

that's exactly how I feel Tiny - I want everything to happen as and when it should, not because I've been pumped full of drugs! Especially if it's all pretty much guess work anyway! :wall2:

pineapples are on special offer in Aldi this week. I got 3. Theyre supposed to have some chemical in which softens your cervix. Worth a try!! And :bd: works too aparently!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back