sweep?

xxsuzi23xx

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm due on wednesday!(woohooo)I see my midwife tomorrow and was jus wondering if she will offer me a sweep or if I should ask for one?Or do you wait till 41weeks+???
Just can't wait to meet my little man :D

Hope everyone else is Well,Happy and Excited :D
xx

you can ask hun there is no harm in it. i know some people who have been offered them before due date and others who have been told they cant have one until they are overdue but either way your mw should tell you when you will be able to have one if at all. my mw sed she is too busy :shock: good luck

xxxx

Please excuse my ignorance and this is a serious (if stupid) question - but why can't you do your own "sweep"?

Only, I keep reading about how everyone who gets to their due date seems to want their m/w to give them a sweep. I went early with my last 2 babies and dread getting to or, worse, going over my due date, but I find the idea of a m/w inserting a finger or two into my cervix to get labour started really distasteful. I mean, is that all they do? I'm familiar with my own cervix (pre-pregnancy), so I'd feel better doing this myself if I was that desperate!

Also, I've read that a "sweep" can only work if the cervix is far enough forward and soft enough (which indicates that labour is near anyway), so what's the point of having one when labour is going to start soon anyway? Is there any evidence that they work?

Hi Suzi,

No, don't try giving yourself a sweep! I just read this:

'A membrane sweep must be carried out by a Midwife or a Doctor. The membrane sweep works by inserting a finger into the neck of your womb (cervix), moving the finger around in a circular motion in an attempt to separate the membranes from the neck of your womb. This might sound simple but there are several things that must be taken into account. A membrane sweep is only recommended to women who are overdue. Before the procedure the midwife will do an abdominal palpation, feeling the position of the baby, whether the head had engaged or not for example. The position of the placenta must also be known before examination and the baby’s heart checked before the procedure and afterwards to ensure that all is well. A membrane sweep can be uncomfortable and there may be some bleeding afterwards. The Midwife will know if the cervix is favourable as the fingers must be able to go through the cervix to reach the membranes.

If you go overdue a membrane sweep by a midwife or doctor is a valid procedure for stimulating labour. If it is successful you will usually start in labour between 24 and 48 hours. The chances of you going into labour are increased if your cervix is softening and preparing for labour itself. Your doctor or midwife will be able to tell you this from the findings of your examination

Recently antenatal guidelines recommended a membrane sweep at 41 weeks plus, but it is not routinely offered to women who are not overdue. A decision to offer it is usually discussed at around 40 weeks. If it is offered too early it is more likely to fail because your cervix will not be ready.'

So there we have it! :D

Thanks for replies girls! :)

Saw midwife,Head is fully engaged! :D yey!

She said I have to wait till next week for sweep but she seems to think he will be here before then :D

Really hope she's right!!
Just been to shop to buy pinapple...she said to suck on the core :? Worth a try I guess :)

WendyWandy said:
Please excuse my ignorance and this is a serious (if stupid) question - but why can't you do your own "sweep"?

Only, I keep reading about how everyone who gets to their due date seems to want their m/w to give them a sweep. I went early with my last 2 babies and dread getting to or, worse, going over my due date, but I find the idea of a m/w inserting a finger or two into my cervix to get labour started really distasteful. I mean, is that all they do? I'm familiar with my own cervix (pre-pregnancy), so I'd feel better doing this myself if I was that desperate!

Also, I've read that a "sweep" can only work if the cervix is far enough forward and soft enough (which indicates that labour is near anyway), so what's the point of having one when labour is going to start soon anyway? Is there any evidence that they work?
when i had a sweep it didnt feel like a finger :rotfl:

WendyWandy said:
Hi Suzi,

No, don't try giving yourself a sweep! I just read this:

'A membrane sweep must be carried out by a Midwife or a Doctor. The membrane sweep works by inserting a finger into the neck of your womb (cervix), moving the finger around in a circular motion in an attempt to separate the membranes from the neck of your womb. This might sound simple but there are several things that must be taken into account. A membrane sweep is only recommended to women who are overdue. Before the procedure the midwife will do an abdominal palpation, feeling the position of the baby, whether the head had engaged or not for example. The position of the placenta must also be known before examination and the baby’s heart checked before the procedure and afterwards to ensure that all is well. A membrane sweep can be uncomfortable and there may be some bleeding afterwards. The Midwife will know if the cervix is favourable as the fingers must be able to go through the cervix to reach the membranes.

If you go overdue a membrane sweep by a midwife or doctor is a valid procedure for stimulating labour. If it is successful you will usually start in labour between 24 and 48 hours. The chances of you going into labour are increased if your cervix is softening and preparing for labour itself. Your doctor or midwife will be able to tell you this from the findings of your examination

Recently antenatal guidelines recommended a membrane sweep at 41 weeks plus, but it is not routinely offered to women who are not overdue. A decision to offer it is usually discussed at around 40 weeks. If it is offered too early it is more likely to fail because your cervix will not be ready.'

So there we have it! :D

thats good to know.
hope it isnt too painful

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111