sweep question.....

BeckyJ

Reaction score
do you only have a sweep if you go overdue?

how do they do it? does your midwife do it?

they give u an internal on ur due date scan and do it then but i asked my midwife yesterday when i could get one done by her cause i dont wanna go overdue again and she told me 38 weeks, just ask ur midwife and she'll prob do it for u at 38 weeks..

im 38 wks now and im not seein midwife til the day before my due date :x

ahh well there goes that :lol:

u can make an appointment to see her b4 that, im not meant to see mine until another 3 weeks but got an appointment yesterday cause i was feelin really heavy, turns out i need iron, they dont mind, just get an appointment and say ur finding it really hard and u wud like a sweep..

I was given my first sweep at 40 weeks. I thought this was rather soon but MW told me that it was because its my second baby, they don't like to do it until about 41 weeks with a first baby (unless there's a real need for it). There's no harm in asking though.

When you get a sweep the MW will see if you cervix is 'favourable', meaning whether or not its thin and stretchy enough and whether you are slightly dilated, if your not then she won't be able to perform the sweep. If it is favourable then she will just sort of 'sweep' her finger around the cervix pushing slightly to separate the membranes from the cervix. Some people find it a bit uncomfortable, I for one found it painful but then I'm a wuss. :roll:

My midwife said 41 weeks.

I think you could ask before but i won't be asking before that! Lol. I really don't want one but if it means i might go into labour before needing an induction then i'll have it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back