Swaddling blankets

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by Nic36, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Nic36

Nic36 Well-Known Member

Just wondered whether anyone has bought a swaddling blanket for their LO? I am looking online at the moment and trying to decide which one I should get? So many to choose from!

2. HannahBubble7

HannahBubble7 Active Member

My mum got me one from TK maxx ! I will try it and see how lo likes it when he/she arrives :) xxx

3. Verity2011

Verity2011 Well-Known Member

They're so cute but haven't actually bought a swaddling blanket. Just have lots of different cellular and fleece blankets and will swaddle cub tightly in one of them. I was thinking about the mothercare one as it's super cute but I was always shown by family how to do it with a normal blanket so couldn't convince DH to spend the extra money...boo

4. Nic36

Nic36 Well-Known Member

They seem to have different togs available - I'm guessing a higher tog as February baby! Definitely cheaper to use a normal blanket, verity - if you are skilled in the art of swaddling! Maybe I should practice using a normal blanket and a doll before buying one!! :) x

5. Verity2011

Lol - the problem is that I'm not very skilled! I keep thinking I should try on one of my cats but DH sees the thought come into my head and immediately tells me NO (very sensibly)...

I would also think a higher tog would be better too as we're having Feb babies

6. Nic36

Nic36 Well-Known Member

Just looking at the mothercare ones and they don't say what tog they are. They do have very good reviews though.

7. BabyBrain

BabyBrain Well-Known Member

Babies love being swaddled apparently, reminds them of being snuggled in the womb. Swaddling cats is only a good idea if wearing a suit of armour and brandishing a long pole lol, I've tried it. As Albert will be a Spring baby I'll swaddle with a cellular blanket so he doesn't get too hot xxxxxxxx

8. Verity2011

9. x_larlybelle_x

x_larlybelle_x Well-Known Member

I picked 2 up from facebook swapshop for £3 each :)

10. jojo_2012

jojo_2012 Well-Known Member

I just use a fleece blanket, fold the bottom up, fold one side over then the other and that's it. It's a good idea to let baby still have his hands near his face because he uses them to comfort himself in the womb. I'm not buying one of these special velcro jobbys

11. Nic36

Nic36 Well-Known Member

Yes I was wondering about the hands thing, at NCT classes they told us to keep arms out of the swaddling, but all the videos I watched on utube show you wrapping the arms inside the blanket. Might try outside first and see how that goes. X