• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stupid Question RE: Blankets

frankie247

Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

Forgive thine of the stupidest questions you are going to read - I've tried googling but get conflicting advice.

When the baby is newborn, say in a cot or Moses basket, how do you keep it warm?

Blankets? Only i read today that you shouldn't use a blanket when under 12 months? So I thought sleeping bag thing but it says not to use under 3 months (I think)

So what do you do? I thought blanket that stopped unde their arms, but then do their arms not get cold?

And what do they sleep in? I guess a sleepsuit, but do they wear a vest/bodysuit underneath? If so short or long sleeved? And leg-less?

Haha first time Mom here, if you couldn't guess!

Thanks!

The whole bedding thing was one of my biggest worries before I had my LO. We started off with Emily dressed in a short sleeve vest and a sleepsuit and a double over cellular blanket up to get chest. This was perfect in February. When she was over 8 lb we started using a sleeping bag rather than a blanket an thus us so much better. She now wears the same clothing, but sleeps in the bag. :). Xx

i used a wool blanket, like a cellular blanket at first as its got lots of holes for air circulation and i put socks on her under her long sleeved sleepsuit, if your worried about hands getting cold then mitts or socks on hands keep them warm. then we used a sleeping bag at about a month old with a thin blanket on top as it was really cold and at the minute were using a fleecy blanket folded double as its quite big (cot size). i think as long as they have their face clear its all good

I still swaddle Tilly as I'm sure it helps her sleep better she's only wearing a vest at the min because our bedroom doesn't seem to drop below 21 degrees.

So she wears the vest, then I swaddle her in a muslin I got that is massive or a swaddle me pod with the Velcro and then ive been putting a flat sheet over her. It's too warn for blankets in my bedroom at the min.

If it gets colder I might add a blanket or dress her in a sleep suit

We did vest, sleepsuit and cellular blanket to start then at 3 weeks went to sleeping bag. We have different tog sleeping bags and vests and or sleepsuits depending on the temp. x

I use the Summer SwaddleMe range and chop and change his clothing depending on how warm it is, anything from naked to vest and sleepsuit xxxxxxxx

We did vest, sleepsuit and cellular blanket to start then at 3 weeks went to sleeping bag. We have different tog sleeping bags and vests and or sleepsuits depending on the temp. x

Exactly the same here x

Exactly the same here x

Snap. I also figured out quite early on that J was a warm body and overheated quite easily even in the dead of winter. Conversely a friend had her baby at the same time and her LO cries if she's not wrapped up warm all the time. Guess I'm trying to say you'll work out quite quick what suits your LO best.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

The gro bag sleeping bags come with a thermometer and a leaflet to help you with what to dress them in. Very handy.

Remember though their hands often feel quite cold and so it doesn't mean they are cold. Just feel the little tummy, best way to check if too warm :) x

WE used sleeping bags since harrison was about 2 weeks old, at the hospital they swaddle but he has always liked to suck his fingers so got cross being tied up so we changed and he was fine (was 8 1/2lb by then) we now have a range of thicknessses so chop and change depending on the temp. Harrison always has to be in at least a vest and sleeping bag as he has worked out how to undo his nappy and it can be messy!! Lol!!
xxx

i did swaddle when harry was first born and then i;d put a fleece over him (he was only 7lb 3) but he kept wriggling out of his blankets so at 3 weeks he went into his baby grow and now i just put either him in a vest or a babygrow without a vest underneath his growbag and leave him like that or if it is cold i'll pop a light blanket on him x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back