Stupid Bloody Doctors

Sugarhigh

Reaction score
OK today i went to my doctor as i have a throat infection and cant keep the tablets down so he prescribed me a throat rinse. Great i thought till i got it and read that back where in massive bold lettering it said "under no circumstances to be taken by any woman who is pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to become pregnant" so now im sat here with a throat that feels like ive swallowed a razor and can't sleep and can't take anything as all i can swallow is liquid so cant even take paracetamol.

oh and btw this was prescribed AFTER a long chat and him asking how the pregnancy was progressing! :evil: :evil:

Nothing to add except :wall:

I hate doctors. And hospitals. They all seem completely incompetent. And yes, I know that's a total generalisation.

A lot of these medicines have the warning due to legal reasons as no new studies are done everytime the recipe is updated. This doesn't mean that it's neccessarily bad for your pregnancy. Often the risk due to the infection is much higher than the risk posed by the medication. If in doubt ask your doc again or the pharmacist.

I agree, most have warnings just incase. For example, we are told not to use drugs such as Nurofen during pregnancy. This isn't because they cause an adverse effect but the fact that there has been no proof that they don't cause any adverse reactions hence drug firms these days put warnings over mostly everything to avoid the likelihood of being sued just incase.

What is the name of your medication?

debecca said:

I hate doctors. And hospitals. They all seem completely incompetent. And yes, I know that's a total generalisation.

I feel the exact same hun. They just pretend to know everything and walk round like they own the place, but the fact is, they don't know a very lot!!

klee1988 said:
debecca said:

I feel the exact same hun. They just pretend to know everything and walk round like they own the place, but the fact is, they don't know a very lot!!

Well I disagree with that!! My friend is a GP and if I had a quarter of her brain I would be a very clever lady!! :D

Call the pharmacy and they will be able to advice you.

klee1988 said:
debecca said:

gotta disagree with that too. when compared to a lot of other westernised countries, we have a bloody good health service with a lot of brilliant and undervalued doctors & nurses. i don't know any (and i know a lot) who walk round like they own the place - just a lot of people with a real vocation to help people and who are usually shat upon by the system, by the public and by the media. people want to put them down whenever possible and focus on any problems and mistakes rather than applaud the good work that gets done.

debecca, i know you're generalising and i know what a shitty time you're having at the moment, this isn't a dig at you or anyone else, merely a comment from the other side if you like ;) :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

sugarhigh, i'm sorry you think your GP has prescribed something inappropriate but, as has been said already, a lot of the warnings on packets are because there's insufficient research into the effects of a medication on pregnant/lactating women and pharmaceutical companies want to cover their backs. call NHS direct and ask advice from them if you're really uncertain? you can also get soluble paracetamol and it might be worth having a gargle with that (or try salt if it doesn't make you :puke: )? hope you feel better soon :hug:

xxx

Yeah, I guess I was being biased with what I said. Just nearly every doctor I seen with my last pregnancy wasn't very good. They didn't have a clue, I just got the picture I knew more about what was going on with my pregnancy then they did!

When I read that the doctor told you it was okay to take the medicine, it just brought back all my angry feelings against doctors.

Sorry if I upset anyone :hug:

klee1988 said:
Yeah, I guess I was being biased with what I said. Just nearly every doctor I seen with my last pregnancy wasn't very good. They didn't have a clue, I just got the picture I knew more about what was going on with my pregnancy then they did!

When I read that the doctor told you it was okay to take the medicine, it just brought back all my angry feelings against doctors.

you certainly didn't upset me :D :D half my family (inc my fab daddy) & a lot of my friends are doctors so i feel obliged to stick up for them :) there are rubbish doctors out there but that's cos they're human and there are some rubbish humans out there full stop. :talkhand: :lol: :lol:

sorry you had a crappy time with the docs in your last pregnancy :( they're not all bad though, i promise :hug: :hug: :hug:

purple13 said:
klee1988 said:

you certainly didn't upset me :D :D half my family (inc my fab daddy) & a lot of my friends are doctors so i feel obliged to stick up for them :) there are rubbish doctors out there but that's cos they're human and there are some rubbish humans out there full stop. :talkhand: :lol: :lol:

sorry you had a crappy time with the docs in your last pregnancy :( they're not all bad though, i promise :hug: :hug: :hug:

:oops: I admit I did generalise big time :( Hope I get doctors like your friends and family this time. :D

Thanks Ladies the medication is called Difflam

i spoke to my DR guy who done my scan and even he didnt know if its ok to use!

Sugarhigh said:
Thanks Ladies the medication is called Difflam

i spoke to my DR guy who done my scan and even he didnt know if its ok to use!

Hi, I'm not surprised he didn't know, do you know how many drugs are available these days? :wink:
We're always told that if in doubt check the drug bible (BNF: British National Formulary).

The BNF is basically the drug bible that is used by health care professionals in hospitals and surgeries etc, in other words anywhere that you come in contact with mediactions and tells you all about them (probably what your GP used too). Well I checked in my BNF & at the back of it is a long section of drugs to 'be avoided or used with caution during pregnancy' & according to this table, Difflam which is also known under 'Benzydamine Hydrochloride' is not listed in this section.

Hope this is of some help and that your throat gets better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back