amoxicillin rash

Kimbo

Reaction score
On tuesday night I took Leah up to a&e as she had a high temperature, was refusing to eat anything and kept waking up crying.
So I took her up and she was diagnosed with a throat infection and was prescribed amoxicillin.
The next day, she started to get spots all over her belly and back, so I took her to the emergency doctor near me.

Doctor had a look at her and said it's an amoxicillin rash, and to stop the antibiotics right away, and that she shouldn't have even been prescribed amoxicillin for throat infection as it's viral.
So Ive stopped the medicine, but the rash is still there.. every few hours it changes from light to dark, like it can't make up its mind whether to go away or not!
She's woken up this morning with a horrible cough too, and won't eat her breakfast.
Has anyone any experience of this? I'm thinking I should have carried on with the medicine now because her throat sounds hoarse and her cough won't be helping either.

It was right to stop the medicine - if it was an amoxicillin rash further doses could have killed her.

Not sure about the doc's diagnosis that the throat infection is viral though, did he do a swab or how can he be so sure? There are plenty of other antibiotics which can be taken by people which are allergic to amoxicillin. I'd probably go back to the doctors with her. Hope she'll be better soon.

I get a rash from amoxicillin...it's horrible.

Evie lost her voice and had a cough, cold and sore throat a few weeks ago and the doc didn't give us anything for it except an inhaler to help open up her airways to help her breathe better. It worked!

Go back to the docs tomorrow he might see that it's getting a bit worse and give her something. Other than that it's calpol and cuddles!

Evei refused to eat btw so I upped her forumla feeds to make sure she was hydrated and had enough vits etc to keep her going

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

No doubt the second doctor was right to stop the amoxicillin but surely they aren't the only anti biotics she can have are they? I'd contact A&E and explain to them whats happened and tell them that another doctor has disagreed with their diagnosis and you need further advice. Thats what I'd do hun. Also it may have been a virus that started her throat off but if it is infected then she needs antibiotics.

Hope she is better soon :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back