strep b

lauramleigh

Reaction score
i have also posted this in 3rd tri...
Hi just wondered if any of u girls have had or got this ? I had white blood cells in my urine and its come back as strep B..
Have read up on it on the internet and scared myself Sh**less ...
I am now on anti-biotics and got to have an intervinous (sp) drip as soon as my waters break or i go into labour..

I was worried about this as well during my pregnancy but never had it so I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

The good thing is that they have noticed that you have it and they will be keeping a close eye on you and giving you the right treatment.

I'm sure everything will be alright. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi Laura

I tested positive for GBS at 19 weeks in a urine sample, and again not long after so i was put on oral antibiotics for the rest of the pregnancy. I had the intravenous antibiotics during labour (nothing too major - drip in back of hand).
Not sure if you are/were planning a water birth, but my hospital didn't allow it if you are GBS positive (increased risk of transference to the baby) - don't know if that's the same in all hospitals though.
My baby was eventually born by emergency c section (not because of GBS). Unfortunately, he became very unwell at 15 hours old and developed GBS related pneumonia - but they also had to do a lumbar puncture to rule out meningitis and blood cultures to rule out septicaemia (thankfully both were negative). It was touch and go for a while - but because the midwives and paeds knew to look for signs, it was picked up in time for treatment to work.
Happily, he is now a healthy seven month old with no lasting problems relating to the GBS.

Hope i haven't scared you more - just be thankful that you now know and that you'll get the preventative treatment (and that if you didn't have the antibiotics your baby would have a 1:600 chance of getting the infection; with the antibiotics, it is brought down to 1:6000 - my son was just the unlucky one).

Good luck (and remember a large number of women are positive, don't know it and their babies are absolutely fine, so i'm sure yours will be healthy and well)

Hugs

XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back