Group B Strep

katastrophic

Reaction score
Anybody else a Group B Strep sufferer?

Looking to any Mum's who had to give birth in labour ward rather than the birthing suite and had to have the IV anti-biotics. I would be interested to know how you felt this affected your birth experience, does the IV make it very difficult to move about as I plan to be as mobile as possible, especially as this little one has been back to back through out most of my pregnancy!

Kat x

i am a sufferer, well i was with last child. but my labour was so quick that i didn't get the IV, so we had to stay in hospital for a week asfter he was born!! which actually wasn't that bad, as i already had two young girls at home (6 &3 at the time) so it was a chanceto bond with Lenox and have a bit of a rest!!!my midwife has written on my notes that i need an IV during labour with this baby too, so i guess i am kinda in the same boat as you as i don't know how it affects you in labour!!

sorry, what is a group B strep, and an IV?
Frenchy here, so I haven't got a clue!!! :oops:
Thanks
Mel xx

Thank you! I thought it had something to do with blood rhesus B!!! :doh:

I'am gonna hav a look at the link!

Mel xx

Is everone tested for this or do you have to ask? Just curious!

hmm, yea, good question!!! is it tested in the first blood test of pregnancy?

I mean, I wo0uld not know if I had that!!!

Mel xx

Hi

I found out I had Group B when I had a swab taken during my pregnancy, at first I was really concerned but then I read up on it and that made me more relaxed.

I don't know how would have affected my labour if it had been straight forward (it doesn't take long for them to give you the antibiotics so it didn't restrict me for very long). As it happened, my waters had broken and as there was meconium in them I wasn't allowed in the pool and they monitored Olivia's heartbeat because of the meconium so I was stuck on the bed for most of it anyway. I was allowed to get up and use a birthing ball at times but as she was back to back I felt like I was going to do a big poo everytime I moved so I was happy on the bed (especially after I had the epidural!)

Not sure if I've been of any help but don't worry about it, better that they know you have Group B Strep and can give you antiobiotics of it your labour is too quick they will keep you in (my hospital would keep you in for 48 hrs if the labour is too quick to give you the antibiotics).

Are you planning to breastfeed? If you are just make sure you eat lots of natural bio yoghurt and a banana everyday and avoid too much sugar because a week after I gave birth I developed thrush in my boobs and the MW said it was probably due to the antibiotics during labour and my diet.

HTH

Lucy

Thanks ladies!

Mel - You need to have a swab taken to determine if you have it, normally done in late pregnancy, I was lucky as I had a check up for pelvic pain and they discovered it at eight weeks, a lot of the time it goes undiscovered apparently, its common, I think 1 in 4 are carriers but there is a very small chance (around 0.01% according to the website I was looking at) when a baby is seriously affected, the anti-biotics is just a precaution. Don't worry yourself too much!

ok, I'll try!! :wink:

I kind of always worry for health! I kept on panicking when i was pregnant!and now, with Lo, you can imagine! Lol!

Thanks
Mel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back