Strep b positive

mummywanabe

Reaction score
Has anyone had strep B, can you tell me what they do during and after labour how long did you have to stay in hospital?
My son came early last time and they phoned me 3 days later from my GP saying you're strep B Positive so when you go into have baby you'll need to be treated and so will baby....I said to her I had my son 3 days ago and he's home now, she asked me if he looked ok lol couldn't believe it.
So this time I'm just wondering what I should be expecting ???

If they know you are strep b positive this time the you should get antibiotics during labour and baby gets some for a few days once born. You may not be positive this time though, it's one of those things that comes and goes and that's why they don't routinely test for it x

I was strep b positive. The guidelines advise antibiotics every four hours during labour and then your baby will need monitoring for 12 hours after. He or she will not get antibiotics automatically unless you had a temperature during labour or if he or she becomes unwell. My waters broke so I had to go straight to labour ward and in the end they didn't have time to give me antibiotics as my labour was only 2.5 hours long. My daughter was monitored for 12 hours after and she was fine so we were discharged. Try not to worry about it too much. 1/5 of women carry the bacteria and the majority of them do not know and do not receive antibiotics.

Thanks guys spoke to my GP feel a lot better about it now

It comes and goes naturally, so just because you had it last time doesnt mean you will have it this time. Although in some cases side effects for the baby can be severe, such a small percentage of babies are affected at all even when the mum is positive some women choose to have no treatment unless there are extra risk factors.

I know I feel a bit better now, when I'd rang someone not long after having my son they said you'll definitely need antibiotics for you and baby next time which made me worry a little but feel more reassured now is isn't the case

It comes and goes so if you got tested today and had it, it may be gone in a few days time. My hospital so not test for it for those reasons they say it's pointless. They do know the signs for it and so if you present ant of them or your labour is dragging they will treat you for it regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back