Stopping breastfeeding

sarah1986

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been breastfeeding my son for 3 weeks now and I have come to the point where I feel I can no longer keep it up, reasons being I am totally drained, he is a really fussy feeder and gets really stressed when feeding, kicking crying etc, which also stressed and upsets me.

My question is how do I gradually stop breastfeeding as I understand you can’t just stop as I will still produce milk.

I know some of you may not agree with my decision but it’s my personal decision and feel it is right for

thanks
Sarah

Have you spoken to your health visitor?

I'm no expert, but I think you need to slowly introduce the formula so his tummy will get used to the change as well (but like I say I am no expert) sorry I don't have any advice as can't remember what I did when getting my son off breastmilk as it was 9 years ago but wanted to wish you luck - I'm sure noone on her will judge you, we all do what is right and best for our children.

As above just as gradually as you can, slowly reduce feeds whilst slowly introducing formula. The gradual reduction of feeds will gradually reduce how much milk you produce and make it more comfortable. Apparently once stopped completely Epsom salts can help?
I am 5 months into breastfeeding at the moment and sort of know what you mean. My son has little temper tantrums, screaming, crying, kicking, hitting etc but I have found he only does this if over tired. Normally breastfeeding will settle and comfort him, sending him right off to sleep. Maybe your little one has some intolerance issues or likewise? I'm not sure if bottle feeding will help much (maybe even make any issues worse if it causes colic from increased intake of air etc?) but just talk to a breastfeeding consultant or health visitor about it and I'm sure they will be able to give you better advice on what is best for both you and baby as individuals

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back