Stopping breast feeding :(

MaryLouise

Reaction score
As some of you may or may not know I have high blood pressure (not pregnancy induced), it is still really high and I have been advised to start a knew type of medication when I finish breast feeding. The thing is how do I phase out breast feeding without too much uncomfort? I currently give Freddie one bottle of cow and gate comfort formula at night which he is happy to take but when I do this my breasts become engorged, is it best to phase it out gradually say every other feed and then slowly reduce breast feeds until I stop or should I stop completely straight away? How long would it take for milk to dry up on average? I'm not looking forward to stopping as I love being able to feed him but as I am not getting any better my OH wants me to stop sooner rather than later so that I can be healthy. I told him I'd start after 6 weeks which Freddie will be next Tuesday. Any advice would be great, cheers x

Don't stop completely straight away - that way lies great pain and possibly mastitis.

AS you said, drop alternate feeds and do so gradually. I think it's best to drop one feed a week.

I'd say drop 1 feed every couple of weeks to let your body get used to producing less milk slowly.

I'm going back to work soon, so am slowly weaning Oliver off my breast for his 2 daytime feeds (I'm gonna continue with morning & nighttime).

I stopped his 3pm feed about 4 weeks ago & my milk flow coped well, I didn't get too much engorgement, just the odd day when my breast pads ended up soaked.

I stopped his lunchtime feed today, so that he's got 4 weeks to get used to this 'new way of working' before I go back to work.... so I am expecting to have big boobies for a few days while my body adjusts! :lol: :oops:

I agree with what the others have said- take it slowly! I didn't express the other day as I normally do (as well as breast feeding) so my boobs became slightly engorged and on Saturday night I got a blocked milk duct. It was so painful it woke me up and even prevented me from having an incredibly rare lie in! It went away as I made sure to feed for at least a few minutes on that side every feed but the pain made me feel sick. I cannot imagine how awful mastitis would feel- avoid it at all costs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back