• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

expressing/breast feeding

Thanks Mervs mum this is very useful information. I'm a bit dissapointed as I want my baby to get all the goodness etc from breast milk, but had hoped on half expressing, half breast feeding straight away so my OH could be as involved, so waiting 6 weeks is a bit of a let down if that makes sense. But i'm glad I know now and get my head around it in plenty of time, plus i will do what ever's best for my baby ultimatly, it was just a idea in my head. Great thread though xx

kate that was the exact idea i had i wanted my OH 2 be ad much involved as i am so half and half would of been perfect for us. i'm quite disappointed about it 2 and has made me think twice now about breast feeding.

Yeah I can understand why it might put you off all together now. Six weeks seems along time before OH can feed baby, but I also want my little boy to have all the goodness etc that they say breast feeding supplys. Also the bonding experience between mum and baby is said to be helped by breast feeding. I've already got a steriliser, electric breast pump, bottle warmer and bottles so in theory i'm good to go. Anyway hun I should be before you, so I can be the test and let you know how I get on lol x

I'm not sure why people seem to think feeding is the only bonding activity a dad can do :eh: My hubby is super close and well bonded to our children without feeding them. He baths them every night, settles them better than I can because they smell milk on me, dresses and changes them and plays with them - even when they are just born. :)

Last edited:
I don't think its the only bonding activity they can do, and we want bath time to happen once he comes in from work so he can be involved. There was a few reasons i was hoping to mostly express, i think i feel conscious of popping my giant boobies out tbh, there will often be people around at first i think and i'm self conscious, but tbh i'm hoping it all vanishes when he's here. We are going to Scotland mid July for a few days with the in laws too, so that was a consideration if that makes sense, but there will be ways around it. Another thing is my mum has said stuff about night feeds and not getting any help etc, and OH has promised he wants to take his turn, i know alot of men are different these days to how things used to be, but i don't want to be left with it all to do if that makes sense, i want OH to have his share too it feels important to me. I'd love to be good at breast feeding though and enjoy it, but i'm not convinced x

this is why I didnt want visitors too soon - I wanted time to get used to breastfeeding before I did it when I had people around and TBH it's rare that people see me feed now. I'm not exactly sure what your mum has said about night feeding but from your post I take it that she maybe didnt breastfeed? It's a myth that BF babies dont sleep well. My daughter slept from 3 week and Sid only wakes once in the night now at 6 weeks. When mine were first born my hubby would lay and talk to while I got them sorted to feed but TBH neither of us are 'up' feeding at night because I just latch them laid in bed and go straight back to sleep! This is probably why I dont feed sleep deprived! You can sleep and BF safely but it's not safe to bottle feed in bed - a recent study showed this because you have to stay awake to give a bottle as falling asleep in that position is dangerous where sleeping in a laid down BFing position is safe for you and baby - even with big boobs :)

If you really really wanted to breastfeed, would you think it madness to not buy any bottles or steriliser till after baby was born , so that once your home from hospital, the easy route is not there waiting for you?

This is my last baby unfortunately (OH put down his foot!) and so this is something I really want to try and perhaps master.

this is what I am doing, I have 2 bottles which can be boil sterilised while formula is got if absolutely needed....

As MM says, there are lots of different ways to bond with baby... so no new advice, just offering support I guess :flower:

I don't think its the only bonding activity they can do, and we want bath time to happen once he comes in from work so he can be involved. There was a few reasons i was hoping to mostly express, i think i feel conscious of popping my giant boobies out tbh, there will often be people around at first i think and i'm self conscious, but tbh i'm hoping it all vanishes when he's here. We are going to Scotland mid July for a few days with the in laws too, so that was a consideration if that makes sense, but there will be ways around it. Another thing is my mum has said stuff about night feeds and not getting any help etc, and OH has promised he wants to take his turn, i know alot of men are different these days to how things used to be, but i don't want to be left with it all to do if that makes sense, i want OH to have his share too it feels important to me. I'd love to be good at breast feeding though and enjoy it, but i'm not convinced x

i totally understand how u feel katie. i think i will be very concious about breast feeding with ppl around 2. i'm still very undecided now.

^^ but there is heaps that OH can do to help out/bond with baby. Once DH goes back to work I'll be left for 11-12 hours at least 4 if not 6 days a week any how....
:hug:

I found it great cos whilst I did all the BF, OH would always wake up and pass me the baby in the night, which was great after giving birth and not wanting to move!! The routine kind of stuck and it always seemed like something we did together since he would always be awake and as mervs mum said, you just end up falling asleepagain with a baby stuck to your boob x x

Thanks for the advice Mervs Mum - I may be being a little thick here , but how does baby get winded after feeding if you to sleep? Or is this less of a problem with BF babies?

Thanks for the advice Mervs Mum - I may be being a little thick here , but how does baby get winded after feeding if you to sleep? Or is this less of a problem with BF babies?

i'm sssoo glad u said that because i wa thinking the exact same thing lol

Bf babies don't get much wind at all because it's perfect for their little system to digest.

I dont wind him in bed TBH. There are no bubbles in your boobs ;)

the only time i have heard of wind being a problem with breastfed babies is if they arent latched on properly and sort of gulp as they go, if they are latched on they should be fine and will probably let you know quite loudly if they need to be winded anyway ;)

I cant wait to breastfeed - its the best gift you can give your LO :love:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back