Breatfeeding mums - one breast or two?

KJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

well, Asher is now just over 3 weeks old and I've been feeding him from one breast at each feed, roughly 3 hourly during the day.

For the last week he's fed at about 10pm and then is going until 3-4am for the next feed and then 7-8am to start the next day.

His poos are always yellow and he seems alert and well. He is also gaining roughly an ounce a day.

My question is, my health visitor told me today that I should be offering him both breasts at each feed. I'm not sure this is necessary as all the signs seem to be that he is getting enough milk.

How many mums feed from both breasts and how many don't? And if you only feed from one breast at each feed, how long have you been doing this and can it continue until you stop breast feeding? Or is there a point at which everyone has to offer both breats?

K.xxx

I breast fed my second son till he was 1, he has NEVER had both breasts at one feed. The health visitor told me if he was healthy, happy and gaining weight not to worry.

I was told this when in hospital and it turns out that Gabs was only getting the watery bit each time. One breast should be fine and allow them to get all the good stuff too. Some babies are more hungry and do take both breasts but if it is working for you; why change.... :D

I've only ever given Evie one breast at each feed, its all shes ever wanted. Like Tina said I wanted to make sure she was getting all the rich creamy fattening milk which comes after the watery thirst quenching stuff so would leave her on the one boob to make sure she emptied it.

Hi KJ!
How are you getting on with little Asher?
I only feed from one breast. Occasionally he finishes the one and he still seems a little hungry so I put him on the other one, but not often. I was told to always make sure you drain the one breast properly before offering the other. I think i would be breast feeding all day if he had to empty both breasts on every feed!!!

Just me then?!

Ryan started on one but all the signs were showing he was still really hungry, so I gave him the other side. We always do both sides now, and the following feed I start on the side that was 2nd last time.

He's been putting on a lot of weight tho.. (pound a week). He must just be a hungry bumpkin!!

I always offered both breast but early on she generally only took one, except when she has a growth spurt. The exception is now (she is 14 months and now takes both breasts), but Ellie only has 1 or 2 breastfeed during a 24hrs now.

millie hardly ever needs both, and she has NEVER emptied one!
i swap sides every 3 hours. but if i think shes a little dehydrated, or if its evening and shes fallen asleep on one side, ill swap.
i was told swap only if ur baby finishes one side and is still hungry, or every 3 hours

I only offer one breast each feed. He usually empties it (or nearly empties it) and then falls asleep.

hi

i also almost always just feed from one breast and my boy has put on lots of weight and is happy and sleeps thru the night now, i have had to use two breasts during growth spurts and when he just seems really hungry which i think happens when they get a bit bigger

Tia from day one took both breasts, emptied both and was STILL hungry afterwards, which is why we had to top up... She was just a hungry little thing... and still is... has two main meals a day, but then in 2 months she can grow 3cm so go figure. Not overweight though, just very tall and very lanky..

As long as your baby is healthy and happy give them what they need. Its very difficult to make breast fed babies overweight anyway.

Lola normally has just one side, Sometimes she will want both but only takes a small amount from the second breast

Ani wants both every feed, :shock: so that is what she gets! She is putting on weight - but not in excess, but she is growing like a weed!

Lisa

It varies with me - sometimes Dylan feeds for longer and when I take him off for a break to wind him he sort of headbutts my boob :shock: If he does that then I try him on the other one and he usually takes that too. I don't think my boobs have been completely empty - if I try I can always hand express a little bit

both- sometime she perfrecs the other one, and they might be more milk in one, but i always make sure she's had enough boob.

but it's up to you, which every way you feel more comfortable.

say ello to your LO. i remember when you just found out you where expecting him :D

:cheer:

I only offer one breast each feed. He usually empties it (or nearly empties it) and then falls asleep.

hi

i also almost always just feed from one breast and my boy has put on lots of weight and is happy and sleeps thru the night now, i have had to use two breasts during growth spurts and when he just seems really hungry which i think happens when they get a bit bigger

Tia from day one took both breasts, emptied both and was STILL hungry afterwards, which is why we had to top up... She was just a hungry little thing... and still is... has two main meals a day, but then in 2 months she can grow 3cm so go figure. Not overweight though, just very tall and very lanky..

As long as your baby is healthy and happy give them what they need. Its very difficult to make breast fed babies overweight anyway.

Lola normally has just one side, Sometimes she will want both but only takes a small amount from the second breast

Ani wants both every feed, :shock: so that is what she gets! She is putting on weight - but not in excess, but she is growing like a weed!

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back