Stomach bug

Aida

Reaction score
I haven't even had a chance to ask if I may join tri 3 and I'm already inflicting my problems on you ... :oops:

I'm glad to join all you lovely ladies and appreciate all your excellent advice. :wave:

I didn't go to work today I'm feeling so poorly.... I think it's a stomach bug. I'm scared it will harm my baby am I worrying over nothing? Is there anything I can do to help myself except drink lots of fluids and rest ? I feel so exhausted and queasy....

Thanks xxxxx :hug:

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, but rest assured your baby will be fine!

I had the dreaded flu bug over the Xmas period and was so ill that I ended up in A&E for hours as I couldnt breathe........even with all the medication I was given and my asthma attack, baby was absolutely fine - I think they are very well protected where they are!

Yes, keep drinking lots and get some rest, hope you feel better soon :hug:

THANKS A MILLION for your prompt feedback :hug: :hug: :hug:

Some information for you:

If you've been unfortunate enough to catch the latest stomach bug that's doing the rounds, chances are that you're feeling pretty awful. However, to add to the discomfort and stress of being ill you may also be worrying about the health of your developing baby.

While this is by no means an unreasonable concern, you should try not to worry too much. Your body has all sorts of natural defences in place to protect your baby throughout pregnancy so in all likelihood, no matter how rough you're feeling, your baby will be completely fine.

What to do
Get plenty of rest - If you're suffering with sickness and diarrhoea you're likely to be feeling very weak and tired, stomach bugs really take it out of you when you're pregnant as your body is still focusing on nurturing your baby. It's important to get as much rest and possible and to stay tucked up in bed or on the sofa until you're feeling completely recovered.
Keep hydrated - It's essential that you stay hydrated so make sure you drink plenty of water, diluted fruit juice, weak tea or clear broth . If you're unable to keep anything down at all, try taking tiny sips of water through a straw or sucking on ice chips.
Avoid anti-diarrhoea medication - Anti-diarrhoea medication isn't usually suitable for use in pregnancy so it's advisable to steer clear. You could try drinking lemon and water or ginger tea to try and settle things a little instead. Most rehydration salts and isotonic drinks are safe for pregnancy (although be sure to check the instructions first) and taking these can be a good idea to help top up the important salts and minerals your body has lost.
Keep foods simple - Once you feel up to eating something it's important to keep it simple. Plain foods such as white rice, dry toast, plain cereal without milk and bananas are all gentle on your stomach and can give you some much needed energy.
Call your doctor - If you feel ill for more than a couple of days (most stomach bugs pass in 48-72 hours), have a high temperature, are struggling to get enough fluids or need reassurance then it's advisable to give your doctor or midwife a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back