Sterilising bottles

B81292

Reaction score
We have the TT microwave steriliser and the instructions are so vague I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing

If you sterilise a batch providing the lid is left on are they sterile for up to 24 hours? If you take one out and replace the lid does this make them not sterile?

Can you sterilise a batch , assemble the bottles and take them out and they will still be sterile ?

Are you best to sterilise each bottle again before a feed?

Everywhere is conflicting and I'm scared I'm doing the wrong thing !!

Last edited:
I was worried about this and couldn't find a straight answer anywhere. I use the Dr Browns microwave steriliser and the instructions say nothing about how long the bottles stay sterile for. My steriliser can take 4 bottles so I assume they will stay sterile for a while or there's no point doing 4! I don't like to leave them more than 12 hours before using to be on the safe side. I sterilise 2 at night before I go to bed and when I get up to do the night feed I take one out and use it and assemble the other with lid on for the morning feed. After the first morning feed i sterilise 4 bottles and assemble them with lids on and leave them on the worktop. I figure it's better to assemble and seal them than leave them in a steriliser which has been opened because like you say are they still sterile once it's opened? x

We always sterilise all our bottles in one go, leave them in for about 10 mins after its finished, wash my hands well and dry on kitchen towel (paper tissue) then assemble. I'm not sure exactly how long they stay sterile but we have never had a problem doing it this way.

I have the same steriliser. We would sterilise all 4 plus dummy's and then assemble all the bottles once cooled and be sure to use them within 24 hours. This wasn't a problem when he was having that many bottles a day but when he started dropping bottles and only have 2 in 24 hours we would just do 2 at a time as the other 2 would go to waste if you know what I mean. My lb is 13 months now and doesn't have bottles anymore....it's amazing not having to worry about sterilising! Haha! Hope that helps x

Assembled you can leave them for 24 hours just fine. I did all mine in the morning for the day or you would be forever doing them x

I sterilise 6 in an electric steriliser, with clean hands I take one out as I need it, and I've never had an issue. As long as you don't put dirty hands on the teets or inside the bottles, you should be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back