sterilising

helsekia

Reaction score
when did you stop /or when do you intend to stop sterilising bottles?cadens 21weeks and i still sterilise bottles,but as i was doing this today i thought well its a bit of a double standard really cos he puts alsorts in his mouth,toys,teethers,book pages,hands,etc and these arent sterilised.what do you think?

the official advice is to stop sterilising at 6 months, although you'll find some other HV's say 1 year.

however, i've said this before and i'll say it again :wink: :wink: in our country today, sterilising is completely unnecessary.

milk can breed bacteria like nobody's business if not washed off at a very high temp - water should be about 80 degrees - and can cause gastroenteritis (v nasty).

BUT if bottles are cleaned well, then sterilising is not needed. i did sterilise bottles in the early days out of paranoia but i don't do it now. i just wash stuff properly :)

i haven't sterilised dummies, nipple shields etc for ages - again, i just wash them properly - connor's like your LO and has everything in his mouth all the time.

its worth bearing in mind that most cases of gastroenteritis are viral and therefore not related to the poor washing of bottles. its also worth noting that over-sterilisation and over-cleanliness has been linked to the increase in childhood leukaemia.

I sterilize all bottles because I make up DS bottles in advance and store them in the fridge. I stopped doing the juice/water cups and food bowls and spoons at 6 months, and I don't do dummies any more. They just get a good wash. xx

follow your heart lol!

with hannah i stopped at around six months, as i just felt it was unnessery, she was so big and stong - and was looking more like a 10 month old then 6! she also had EVERYTHING in her mouth too.

I havent stopped yet with emily, as shes still small to me (tho, she isnt weight/height wise) she just looks more delicate to me, i cant explain it lol. She still sleeps ALOT and just still looks 'new' lol - ill stop sterilising when i think shes ready for it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back