Starting weaning

Babygiz

Reaction score
Hi all, my little one is coming up to 5.5 months and I've been advised by the hv to start weaning. I was quite comfortable in what I was doing until I started reading the weaning books. I plan to start off on baby rice at lunchtime and then move on veg and fruit 2-3 days after that trying a new purée every 2-3 days.

My query is do I give the food after the bottle or in the middle ? I've read not to give it before as they can tend to be their hungriest then - is this correct.

My son has the following currently
8oz bottle at - 8am,12pm,4pm,8pm and we do alit if activities so I didn't want to give him his bottle then leave it an hour or so.

I was going to offer the food after the 12 pm bottle then move to breakfast once we have the first stage cracked.

Does this sound about right ?

Bottle first, then the food afterwards - beginning of weaning is all about taste and texture and not so much about them eating vast amounts.

My LO often falls asleep after a bottle for a little nap, so I offer food once they've woken up, in a good mood, not starving cos they've just had their milk etc.

I got a cow and gate 5 step weaning book free online and found it really helpful - give it a google and get it ordered!!

Good luck and have fun! Xx

Sorry forgot to say - What you are planning to do sounds like a good start! X

Sorry forgot to say - What you are planning to do sounds like a good start! X

Thanks for the post, that's helped loads and I'm onto the cow and gate pack now

So I feel like I'm pulling my hair out week one is done and at the beginning of the week I was givibg him the food after his bottle but he wasn't that interested. So I switched to before his bottle and again although he is eating some he's not that interested but does take his bottle.

So much conflicting info out there, he's not yet 6 months still got two weeks to go do just going to see what this week brings. Day one he was opening his mouth no problems now he rarely opens it.

Just got my head around him drinking bottles so now I feel like I've taken ten steps back.

Meant to say I switched to before on the advice of the hv

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back