Squiglet..

Pregnopaws

Reaction score
Do you know what the level of patient care in spanish hospitals is like? I just bumped into an english woman who gave birth here a month ago and she said all the staff buggered off at 8pm as it is expected that the family comes in to look after you.. :shock: She found it very weird, more like a hostel than a maternity unit... thank god Im on the NHS and having mine in Gib!!

Yes that's what it's like!
Some hospitals don't give you food or change the bedding as they expect family to do it. :shock:
The medical treatment is great and very detailed but at times so old fashioned. :shock: That's why I want a home birth!

Thanks anna, so she WASN'T exagerrating.. omg thats just rubbish isnt it, what if you don't have any family?? I mean some people just don't have anyone to run around for them!

Yer... the families are expected to come and look after you...there are no visiting hours either as far as I am aware. But there is staff available all through the day and night to care for patients who don't have any family available.

I know our local hospital is brand new though and has just won an award for its maternity unit (dunno what it's like exactly but will explain later)... there are only private rooms and the fathers are expected to stay with you over night in the rooms after the baby is born.

They also won't let you leave for a few days regardless (no domino delivery for me then :roll:) but that they make sure that breast feeding is established before you can leave.

I've also heard about people with terminal cancer are just sent home regardless when their "treatment" is at an end, so that they can die at home, and the families are expected to look after them as there is no in home care or hospices.. But then its pretty much like that everywhere in Spain as the family plays such a huge roll in Spanish life.

I wanted a home birth too... but that ain't NEVER going to happen now... Again I would say the treatment in Spanish hospitals is better than the NHS treatment (more detailed, modern and a LOT faster at times) but they do have these weird ideas about patient care... :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back