• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Speech regression and lack of recognition?

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
Im not too worried about Jakes speech atm but it is niggling me at the back of my mind if Im honest. He is a very bright boy and physically ahead of his age but his speech doesnt seem to be upto his age level.

I keep reading that at 18 months they can say between 10 and 20 words. Jake is 17 and half months now and Im sure he can only say about 5 :( He can say Mamamam, Dada, ta, hello. He did used to say cat, (ba)nana, car but refuses to say them now. He is a proper chatterbox but what he says is completely nonsensical (but very cute!). He does use the same sounds for the same situations (eg if he sees someone he recognises, if he sees Iggle Piggle or Thomas lol) I do name everything over again and I can tell he knows what I am saying, he will give me a kiss if I ask and he definately know what no means but often choses to pretend he doesnt!

Another thought I have is that he is saying things but Im just too dumb to realise what he is saying :(

If you are worried its best to go see your HV. :) Yes the average 18 month old can say around 10 words. But then its normal for them to say less too, especially in boys. As you say, its not intelligent based. The communication part of the brain isn't as developed in boys as it is in girls, in general terms (obviously there are exceptions to the rule and anyone with an OH knows that it probably develops then regresses :lol: ).

I admit he doesn't say a lot for his age. Tia was around the same. Are the words that he can say clearly spoken? The fact that he has said more means he probably hasn't got a speech problem. Has something big happened or changed in his family or daily life, at nursery, recently? Even if its something you don't think would upset him or he would understand. That might be responsible for the regression.

As you said, he makes the same noises in the same situations so they are probably words...only not distinguished yet. You're not too dumb to understand them, infact you probably understand more than anyone else because you're mummy.

The best advice I can give you is for you to go and speak with your HV and see what support there is in the area for children with delayed speech. Don't take offense, but the first thing they usually put you on is a "parenting" class to help you learn techniques to help your child speak... for me it was pointless as I was doing all the right things as it seems you are too, but it was necessary towards getting Tia onto the further courses and help. :D

Keep your chin up though. Speech is a very difficult skill to learn and even those who have had difficult problems aren't doomed to always have speech issues. It might take a few years but your LO will get there... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hannah did the same and by the age of 2 she wasnt saying much at all but within 3 months of her turning 2 you litrally couldnt shut her up and she seemed to be learning a dozen words a day, i wouldnt worry 2 much hun it will come in time, just get your lo mixing with as many people and children as possible and you will be surprised

Sneaking in with a Speech Therapist's opinion (I'm not a paediatric therapist but trained in paeds as well as adults).

You are doing exactly the right thing by just exposing him to lots of different words - but not pressuring him to say them. It's similar to a technique I heard about at uni called 'auditory bombardment' where you just expose the child to words without the pressure of trying to get them to say it.

For example, you are sitting playing with a ball - so you say 'Mummy's got the ball - does Jake want the ball? Jake's turn, Jake's got the ball.' etc etc. Somewhere in his brain the connections between that object and that word will be forming.

If you are really worried, speak to your HV but in my experience if you took him to a speech therapist at such a young age they'd send you off to do the same sort of things you are doing already. Remember that the guidelines in books are just that - all kids are different and develop slower or faster than expected.

If it puts it in perspective - I was very advanced with my speech and at two, when my mum was pregnant with my brother was apaprently asking in almost full sentences when the baby was coming, whereas my brother at the same age two years later could barely say 'baby'!

Thanks peeps, I think Im gonna try and relax about it for now and see if he picks it all up himself. I will go to my HV in a couple of months if he doesnt make any progress. BB, I will be using some of your tips :D

I do not really have any advice but i sometimes worry about Charlotte's speech too even though she is clearly very bright. At nearly 16 months she only says mama, dada, hiya, and almost ta/da but she seems to understand a lot so i do not know whether to be worried or not.

People i have spoken to said there isnt any need to worry yet but i dont know :?

Joe went from saying not very much and warbling with the occasional clear word dropped in, to speaking very clearly in sentances. He is 2 and half now and its only been in the last few months that his speech has been what I would describe as clear.

You sound like you are doing exactly the right thing. Just talk and chatter away to him, he will soon be natterig back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back