speech at 14 months??

lozzi

Reaction score
how much would you expect a 14 month old to say??

bam says:

mama
nana
dada
cat
doggy
hiya
woof woof
emma (gemma)
gr-da (grandad)
tracey (twice clear as day i nearly fell over :shock: )
ra ra (laura :x thanks mother)
car
bad cat :lol:
rowd rowd (round and round the garden - points and does circles on her hand)

and she knows the difference between yes and no, if you say "no, no no no no no" or "yes yes yes yes yes" she shakes her head the correct way, and if she DOESNT want something she will shake her head to say no...

is that about right for her age??

if not how can i develop her speech more besides the talking/reading with her?

thanks in advance....

New this month: Say it again ... and again
At 14 months, your toddler understands many more words than she can say. Her spoken vocabulary likely consists of about three to five words, typically "Mama," "Dada," and one other simple word such as "ball" or "dog," but she learns the meanings of new words every day. As she starts to add words to her vocabulary, you'll notice that she looks for opportunities to practice them. Once she can say "dog," for instance, she'll look for dogs everywhere — in books, outside, on videos — just so she can point and say the word over and over again.

mary70 said:
New this month: Say it again ... and again
At 14 months, your toddler understands many more words than she can say. Her spoken vocabulary likely consists of about three to five words, typically "Mama," "Dada," and one other simple word such as "ball" or "dog," but she learns the meanings of new words every day. As she starts to add words to her vocabulary, you'll notice that she looks for opportunities to practice them. Once she can say "dog," for instance, she'll look for dogs everywhere — in books, outside, on videos — just so she can point and say the word over and over again.

oh god how true...

" cat cat cat" and "car car car"

although she has a dog that barks and i said doggy woof woof, which was ok, till she saw the cat now its woof woof at the cat lol

oh, and hiya, to everyone, if you dont say hiya back, she keeps sayin and wavina nd tilting her head tryin to get more attention lol :D

Well Nathan at 13 months says....... nothing!
He mumbles something that resembles 'round, round' when hes playing his round and round the tea towel game but I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it.

kellie80 said:
Well Nathan at 13 months says....... nothing!
He mumbles something that resembles 'round, round' when hes playing his round and round the tea towel game but I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it.
ooo thats something else she says, when you do round and round the garden she points at her hand and says what sounds like "round round"

Well Arianna is 19mths so a little older and she was about the same as your LO at that age... it's just these last few months she is saying a new word practically everyday!

I even have a sentance from her now when she is excited "ooooh, look at dat!"

I just talk to her all day and when she points to something I say it a few times for her. I also got her a book for xmas which is Disney's 1000 words which she loves to look at.

SarahH said:
Well Arianna is 19mths so a little older and she was about the same as your LO at that age... it's just these last few months she is saying a new word practically everyday!

I even have a sentance from her now when she is excited "ooooh, look at dat!"

I just talk to her all day and when she points to something I say it a few times for her. I also got her a book for xmas which is Disney's 1000 words which she loves to look at.

ooo i might go look for that book :) ta

see, alice says loads of words, but its the kinda words only a mummy would understand. Her hiya sounds nothing like a normal hiya, but i know what she means.

Alice signs as much as she speaks thoguh - im was trying to teach her chocolate cake the other day! :lol:

Harrison is 16.5 months and he says:

Ta (He says ta for everything, that was his first proper word and he's very good with it, says it for everything!)
Muma
Dada
Nana
Iya (Hiya)
Cat
Ca (Car)
Wiwi (Willy :lol: )
Bar (Bath)
Dum (Dummy)
Yum yum (Means food lol)

I'm sure he says some other things but I can't remember at the moment :think: lol I'm so used to him saying them, Ive forgotten :oops:

I think kids all go at their own pace and its important to let them do that.

Thea seems to have learned a new word everyday since she was about bams age, she never shuts up lol. Im sure that us using baby signing has had alot to with how good her vocabualry is (its never to late to learn it with your kids, they can benefit from until they start nursery). Thea has a handful of sentences she says now but her friend who is 3 months older than Thea doesnt really talk at all. It just depends on what they are ready for i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back