*** SPD Excercises! ***

For those who you who are suffering SPD I have copied the excercises my physio gave to me for the treatment of mine when I was pregnant with Damien.

This is what my physio told me to do!.....

Pelvic floor excercies! My Physio raved about them - and they do help.
You can do them even walking around (unless obviously your SPD is that bad that you can't walk around).

Pelvic Floor Excercises
*Tighten up the muscles as if you were trying to stop the flow of urine.
*Hold this for 4 seconds
*Repeat 4 times
*Do this about 6-8 times a day

Pelvic Tilts
*Lie on your back with your knees bent at right angles and your feet flat on the floor.
*Tighten your pelvic floor and press the small of your back down against the floor or bed.
*Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 5 times.

Leg Adductors
*Sit up straight and put your cleanched fists between your knees
*Squeeze in on your fists with your knees
*Hold for 5 seconds
*Repeat 5 times

few more things they gave me on a list were......

DO NOT...
*Stand for long periods
*Stand on one leg - sit down when gettign dressed
*Go up and down stairs frequently if it can be helped
*Squat
*Carry or lift any weight
*Twist your body

DO.....
*Stand with your feet close together
*Sit upright with support for your back
*Turn in bed and go in/out of bed with knees together
*Your bed should be low if possible
*Put ice packs on pubis (over pubic bone) to help reduce inflamation caused by SPD
*Use pillows in bed to get into the most comfortable position

The more you walk around - the more it will hurt when you stop. That's what I found anyway....
Try ice packs or heat on your lower back if you feel the pain there too.

Hope that's some help to some of you, I feel for you poor things suffering :hug:

SPD stands for Symphesis Pubis Dysfunction.

Where is the Symphysis Pubis?

The pelvic girdle is made up of three large bones, the Sacrum (base of the spine) and two large isometric bones which form a joint at the front, the Symphysis Pubis, and join with the Sacrum at the back, at the Sacro-iliac joints. The Coccyx or tailbone is attached to the Sacrum. Separation of the Symphysis Pubis is known as Diastasis Symphysis Pubis but there can be other causes of Symphysis Pubis pain during pregnancy and after the baby is born.

What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction?

During pregnancy hormones soften and stretch the ligaments of the body in order to allow the pelvis to open slightly during labour so that the baby can move easily through. Symphysis Pubis and/or lower back pain can occur as early as the 12th week of pregnancy. During pregnancy, and after, the Symphysis can gap slightly and walking, climbing stairs and turning over in bed can be difficult or even impossible.

Not all women suffer from pelvic pain during pregnancy, some only suffer postnatally. There are also those who suffer both during and after pregnancy. Some women will experience pelvic pain in their first pregnancy and not subsequently, while other suffer from this distressing problem with each and every baby.

Symptoms

Pain is usually felt low down over the Symphysis Pubis joint, which can be extremely painful to the touch. Pain may also be felt in the hips, groin and lower abdomen and can radiate down the inner thighs. Pain is increased by walking and all weight bearing activities particularly lifting one leg eg. stairs, movement in bed. Sometimes a "clicking" can be heard and felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back