Spanner in the works?

Blueflower

Reaction score
After DH’s sperm had been praised by 2 different doctors, we were told that part of the result was missing, so asked the GP’s secretary to print it off for us. We were surprised to learn that even though the count is high (over 130 million) the morphology is only 6%. At the open evening we’d been told that most sperm is deformed, only a small percentage are perfect and most of them have 2 heads, 2 tails or are the wrong shape! They showed us pictures and they looked gross! Apparently ‘normal’ is 4-100% but 30% is ideal.

So does that mean that a smaller % of good forms from a high count has the same number of good ones as a higher % of a medium count? (The first doctor had all the results in front of her and still said they were good.)

Also, when you have IUI can they ‘quality control’ them to get the properly formed ones? We were thinking IUI might not be worth it if the count and motility is fine but now it might be necessary.

We will of course discuss it with the consultant at our next appointment but wondered if any of you sperm experts could help! :sperm:

Honestly dont really know, but 130 million is amazing so even though the morph is low its prob still ok, but wouldnt like to say, discuss it with your RE and ask about whether IUI would dramatically increase the chances, also is he on wellman and stuff? x

My DH morph has come back 5 & 6% and we were never told this was a problem, sperm is washed pre IUI just like IVF.

6% of 130 million is 7.8 million so I'd say you're fine! We're faced with only 376,000 usable sperm so try not to worry xx

Honestly dont really know, but 130 million is amazing so even though the morph is low its prob still ok, but wouldnt like to say, discuss it with your RE and ask about whether IUI would dramatically increase the chances, also is he on wellman and stuff? x

The nurse said it would be fine, they filter it so that the good ones swim to the top and she thinks there would be plenty. Phew!

I don't know if I could get him to take 'Wellman'! I'd have to sneak it into his tea! ;-) However if the consultant suggested it might up his % I expect he might give it a go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back