Soya milk rant and more!

BabyBrain

Reaction score
Got the same lecture again today at the baby clinic about soya milk. I explained that Bertie suffers badly with dairy and that his gp is going to refer him for allergy testing in case he's inherited my lactose intolerance....and was still told to put him back on dairy and to swap back to soya if it came back positive! I could have quite happily smacked her round the face with a shitty nappy. She's not the one who has to watch her son breaking his heart over the tummy ache and seeing his moses basket awash with diarrhoea. It really pissed me off, I told her there was no way, if the allergy tests come back negative then I will try reinstating dairy slowly.

I know they don't recommend soya til babies are 6 months but if I was a vegan they wouldn't be allowed to say anything about it. Also, if soya milk is detrimental to newborns as government employees why do they allow the milk companies to advertise it as suitable from birth? I was raised on soya milk and it did me no harm at all. Since being on soya his weight gain has increased from 4oz a week to 17oz in the last 2 weeks! He's happy and alert and healthy so what more do they want?????

Also she said they will start to make a note of his length, he was 20 inches last week. My grandad was nearly 7ft, the OH is 6ft 4, my nephew at aged 12 is 5ft 6. She said growing too tall can cause health problems and they can put him on meds to stunt his growth. I understand what she's saying but I really do get the feeling that the assholes in our PCT are so concerned with averages and what's considered normal that some children just don't stand a chance of going without labels!

Rant over lol xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stupid lady! If Bertie is doing better on soya then keep him on it. You know your son best! As for the height thing, has he suddenly grown much longer? 20" isn't long for a baby.... And if your family members are tall, but healthy, I wouldn't worry. Sounds to me like Bertie is doing great! Xx

I might get him a babygrow printed that says "Soya Fed and Proud" lol

You know what's best for bertie, stupid people!x

Babies aren't my speciality when it comes to nutrition, but I would urge you to do what your gut tells you is best for your baby. If the pain goes and he's a different child on the soya milk then like you I would go with that. Sod what anyone else says, you know your baby best.

tell her to shove it up her arse!!! If he's thriving then leave him also if growing too tall was bad for them then why didn't they have meds years ago to stunt growth???? Stupid woman xxx

I was also given the soya lecture, however the dietician said that although it's not recommended for under 6 months that's a uk thing only and the rest of Europe say its ok from birth. My l/o is now on Nutramigan 1. Having to wean him off the soya though as its quite sweet compared to this new stuff x

I was also given the soya lecture, however the dietician said that although it's not recommended for under 6 months that's a uk thing only and the rest of Europe say its ok from birth. My l/o is now on Nutramigan 1. Having to wean him off the soya though as its quite sweet compared to this new stuff x

That's interesting! I might drop that info in during my next lecture cos I'm sure it won't be the last!

Grrrr...... !!!! You know what's best for your LO I would carry on what you are doing it obviously suits your LO perfectly.

My dietician told me soya isn't recommended because it contains glucose so is sweet and some hormones or something.
Definatly better than him being in pain though! xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

I am clearly missing something.... If Bertie is thriving on Soya then that is a bad thing because....? Also if Bertie's daddy and other members of your family are tall surely he has a predisposition for being tall (not that it is a bad thing!).

One of my nephews really battled when he was little because my SIL was told not to use soya and he kept loosing weight poor thing.... they switched him to Soya and much to the MW's dismay he did so well!!

Clearly PCT's are wrapped up the fact that every baby must be cut from a cookie cutter and be exactly the same!

Hope you don't mind me sticking my two pence worth in, just gets me upset when mother's are not listened to xx

Last edited:
It's all about averages these days... Really annoys me! If your LO is thriving on the diet you, as his mother, have chosen, then how can that be a concern?! Also, pretty obvious your LO might have a predisposition to being taller than average given the family history... So why do the health professionals try to meddle and change things? I say stick to your guns and do what you see as best for your baby! :)

Same things happened to me! The next person to start lecturing me will get a gobfull of me I swear! X

What a load of horse shit!!!!!!! You ignore them hun they are so pathetic. Bertie is thriving and you are doing so well as a mum. xxxxx

good job you can refuse the growth stunting meds if they offer. stuff them and their averages hun your doing fab and bertie is happy.

One thing she did say is that soya contains a lot of oestrogen and tests in rats have concluded it impacts on fertility although no human trials have been conducted. This is what swayed me for the Nutramigan

people are just a joke!

you obviously did the right thing as he's thriving now. mummy knows best, and dont let anyone make you feel bad for your decisions!!

medicine to stunt growth...?!?!?! ive heard it all now!

xxxxxxxx

Soya does have oestrogens so a bit of a minefield, you just dont know how it will affect a boy. My lo is on aptamil pepti (same as Nutramigen really).

At his 6 week check with the gp I'll be able to get the hydralysed milk on prescription so he'll be back on dairy without the bad bits. Just got to wait til then cos the gp won't do anything til the appointment :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back